Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience
13948492

I have a110 trail bike with non function head light, i

Customer Question

i have a*****110 trail bike with non function head light, i recently took it in for service and tune up and asked if they could fix the headlight issue.
they told me the stator was bad and 200 to 400 dollars to installed new or rebuilt stator. other than light issue the machine runs like a clock, can i bypass or
add a new type of light to run off the 6 volt battery
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Louie replied 8 months ago.

Hi and welcome to JustAnswer,

Thank you for the question and your patience. Should you still need assistance for information purposes only...

Initially, please describe headlight issue; no headlight voltage from stator? ...or headlight always burns out?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
no power out of stator, and new or re wired stator is over $200. i wish to have a head light from another source of power if possible
Expert:  Louie replied 8 months ago.

Please confirm:

• "... no power out of stator..." - what wire color from the stator to the Hi/Lo switch? ...no AC Voltage?
  • "...head light from another source of power..." - are LED types acceptable as headlight in your location?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
tomorrow Friday i can call. yellow wire coming out of stator reads-no power
and yes, i would love to put an LED light if it fits my enclosure but, with 6 volt system i am not sure they make 6 volt
I want to keep this as original as possiple
Expert:  Louie replied 8 months ago.

Depending on the alternate power source, LED headlights may be installed.

And yes please, phone call when possible.

By then have the wire colors of the other wires coming out of the stator area. If possible likewise with what AC Voltage is provided by these wires.

Thanks.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
coming out of charging coil, the white and pink are within resistance 0.3-0.7
coming out of Lamp coil, the yellow wire to ground is dead no power/no resistance specs 0.2-05
no power at headlight, does not work and bulb if good
Expert:  Louie replied 8 months ago.

Proposed headlight mod:

• • disconnect the yellow wire going to the dead lighting coil;
  • • connect it instead to the ignition switch terminal that would have +6V when turned On;
  • • replace the headlight with a socket compatible LED bulb something like the bulbs shown HERE;
  • • note that most of these LED bulbs are rated for 6 ~ 24V;
  • • please note that the higher the current draw of the LED bulb, the faster would the battery be depleted;
  • • and the charging system may not be up to the task of quick charging to compensate.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I am going to do as u say but, i need help, how do i know which led bulb is for my machine i will do this tomorrow..I am happy you are helping me resolve this and i WILL pay the fee when complete
Expert:  Louie replied 8 months ago.

The primary consideration would be the type of socket. Please remove the current/existing headlight bulb and post back with a clear picture.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Ok bare with me, i will get back with u tomorrow..thanks
Expert:  Louie replied 8 months ago.

No prob; tomorrow or when able.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
morning, #1 the yellow wire coming out lamp coil goes into the CDI unit, if i cut the yellow wire coming from the lamp coil and attatch it to the ignition should i return it to the CDI unit or ??
#2 the head light is a sealed beam Stanley 6V 35/36.5W bulb (HM-29M-S?) All the connections are soldered and the bulb is soldered as well. (No way to remove it) as well as the mounting bracket is attached as well. What should I replace it with?
Expert:  Louie replied 8 months ago.

That the "...bulb is soldered..." changes the scenario significantly since the lens and housing would have to be replaced as well. This would go against "...want to keep this as original as possiple ..."

There may possibly be replacements that does not have the bulb soldered to the lens housing something like the item shown HERE.

Equally important, I checked the reference wiring and the yellow wire feeds the HI/LO switch (dimmer).

Still, rather than the above posted "...yellow wire coming out lamp coil...", disconnect the wire feeding the HI/LO switch and as posted above too, connect it instead to the ignition switch terminal that would have +6V when turned On.

If the original 35W headlight would be used, then the existing battery would be discharged/go flat very fast.

A workaround to prolong battery capacity would be to replace the current battery with a higher AH rating such as a 6 volt motorcycle Lithium Ion (Iron) Phosphate type similar to the battery shown HERE. Of course the size/mounting may be of a concern.

Please post back how you would want to approach this and/or should additional information be needed.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Hi, I forgot i had a dental appt today sorry for delay. i have sent a message to the seller of the light u showed me, asking what the diameter of light was, if 5 1/4 it will work.
do u think we could find a led bulb to fit the light in question? to ease the drain on the battery.
Expert:  Louie replied 8 months ago.

Likely yes, a LED substitute. We need the specs of the regular headlight bulb used by that replacement lens ass'y. Then it would be a matter of matching from the online offers.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I have located a used headlight at a salvage yard for $10 i am going to see if it is like mine so, i can at least test your possible solution
let me see if i have this correct
1. clip the yellow wire coming from the stator into the turn signal dimmer switch.
a is this where i am to attach the + wire from ignition switch? so that i have both Hi & Lo or just to high beam side
b 3 wires going to head light white=Lo Blue=Hi green=Gd.
2. if you could send me the wiring diagram with your modified changes in layman's terms to get this right before i purchase
a completely new bulb or even attempt to go led***@******.***
2. run a new wire from (ignition on position) to where exactly? where the yellow wire come from CDI unit to
Expert:  Louie replied 8 months ago.

Sorry but no on the above wiring and my diagram shows the light coil's yellow wire is not connected to the CDI but only to the dimmer - Hi/Lo switch.

Still, let us work on what is the existing wiring on your Honda (based on the information above):

• 3 wires going to head light white=Lo Blue=Hi green=Gd;
  • hence the dimmer Hi/Lo switch would also have the white and blue wires;
  • the Lo/Hi switch would have a third wire (what is the color?)
  • this third wire of the Hi/Lo switch would now be connected to the "...new wire from ignition on position...";
  • in effect once the ignition is switched On, the headlight would work through the Hi/Lo switch.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
this is the reason i have read several forums about the stator issue i am having. all like me have different wiring diragrams
here is the one i have been using..http://ct90-ct110.com/Wiring-Diagrams.html this leads u to
http://ct90-ct110.com/PDFs/1982_CT110_Wiring_Diagram_PDF.pdf so u can see why i am at a loss as well
Expert:  Louie replied 8 months ago.

Yes and agree hence we will use the existing/actual wiring in your Honda and not those of the diagrams.

Check the dimmer/Hi-Lo switch for the color of the third wire.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
turn signal switch 8 wires
black=Battery
light green=Horn
light blue=R turn
grey goes (W) goes to flasher
orange=L turn
white=Lo Beam
blue/white=HL to lighting switch
blue=High Beam
Expert:  Louie replied 8 months ago.

To confirm, use the Ω function of a multi-meter and measure the resistance between:

• white wire and blue/white wire with Hi/Lo set to LO; and
  • blue wire and blue/white wire with Hi/Lo set to HI.

To be safe, temproarily disconnect the battery's - terminal.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
the head light did not function once i drove 40 minutes to get it. right now i still have no light and afraid to short something out
and cause even more issues. at first it seemed easy to just run a wire off plus side of ignition key to feed battery side of turn signal/dimmer. There is someone on craigslist that has the OEM Honda repair manual for my machine and lists my serial #
without a bulb makes it even worse, the guy on the size of the light on ebay is in china so no telling when and if he will respond. After tomorrow i may have the correct wiring diagram and you and i can really talk as i am sitting at the bike verifying the diagram is correct.
Expert:  Louie replied 8 months ago.

Sorry, but what happened to the above Ω tests of the white wire & blue/white wire and blue wire & blue/white wire ?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
sorry, i thought i sent this but, i must of logged out without doing so, plus grand kids yesterday.
key off battery disconnected.
my wiring coming from turn/dimmer switch 8 pin
switch set to Hi beam
blue=high beam not on in either Hi or Lo
white=lo beam not on in either Hi or Lo
lt blue=on in eiher Hi or Lo
lt green=only on when u turn on left turn
grey=goes to lighting switch not on in either Hi or Lo (this is the wire i thought was blue/white from wrong diagram)
green=to flasher unit ON in either HI or Lo
orange=engine stop switch ON in either HI or Lo
yellow=to charge coil of alternator no power in Hi or Lo
Expert:  Louie replied 8 months ago.

Thanks.

Let's shortlist the tests with the current headlight bulb disconnected. Again, use the Ω function of a multi-meter and measure the resistance between:

• white wire and yellow wire with Hi/Lo set to LO = ___ Ω ;
  • then set to HI = ___ Ω ;
  • blue wire and yellow wire with Hi/Lo set to HI = ___ Ω ;
  • set to LO = ___ Ω .

Similarly to be safe, temporarily disconnect the battery's - terminal.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
the head light is burned out on high and low and was removed, tested with key off, battery disconnected.
I will preform the last test u sent me early in the morning it is 113 degrees here right now, lol
Expert:  Louie replied 8 months ago.

Of course, when able.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
i can not reply until u do. i was wanting to message u at 6 am Az time..lol
white wire and yellow are both O reading when set on Lo Beam
blue wire & yellow wire read 0 when set to Hi Beam
Expert:  Louie replied 7 months ago.

This confirms that the headlight feed is the yellow wire.

Disconnect, cut or de-solder this yellow wire and tape it to insulate. Then hardwire another wire from where this yellow wire was originally connected to the Hi/Lo switch and connect the other end of this new wire to the terminal of the ignition switch that has +12V when switched on.

It may be a good idea to also install a headlight On/Off switch along this new wire.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
ok but, its 6 volt not 12. I went to a local used cycle parts store yesterday trying to find a head light and i lucked out the older person rebuilds these models. He sent me to this seller for not only the type of light you and i were discussing, but all the parts including an $40 stator. i will wire as say & I have order that light, in hopes that after i get it i may possibly get a LED bulb to fit it.http://www.ebay.com/itm/LG1015-HONDA-CUB-C50-C65-C70-C90-HEAD-LIGHT-ASSY-GLASS-LENS-6V-
P-/262476848463?hash=item3d1cd6dd4f:g:DZwAAOSwzJ5XWYBe&vxp=mtr
the light will be shipped this morning, i would like to have u stay with me thru this, as you have worked super hard helping me.
Expert:  Louie replied 7 months ago.

Yes of course; 6V.

Nice find on the stator and the ebay light.

...and would look forward to an update when able.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Hi, i set a message to the store owner and he replied; "Yes" this will work on you 1984 honda ct110a
so, i purchased it.. http://vod.ebay.com/vod/FetchOrderDetails?qu=1&itemid=122029010106&transid=1665521136002
after i receive this, i wish for u to walk me thru getting it installed correctly, rather than cut and re-route wires.
one last ? i have been told to change out regulator/rectifier with newer one (improved from OEM) what is your thought?
Expert:  Louie replied 7 months ago.

Hi again,

For some reason, the ebay link is restricted to only the buyer and the seller.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
this is better http://www.ebay.com/itm/122029010106 and was shipped with Aut 4-6 delivery
Expert:  Louie replied 7 months ago.

If it would fit and fully compatible, then yes all external can retain period correct parts.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
received a confirmation i should receive it this coming week then u can walk me thru the procedure to remove and replace it.
Expert:  Louie replied 7 months ago.

Appreciate the update now and again later when able.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I did not know they billed me, until i looked at bank statement online today. I did not authorize this. and I hope that this does not close us out until we get light functioning, that is why i asked u to walk me thru the stator removal and replacement, with any adjustments i may have to re-set..and we should have full power
Expert:  Louie replied 7 months ago.

Sorry but my participation is strictly limited to technical, repair and/or installation issues.

And I would always be prompted to provide a reply soon as you post anything.

On the "...they billed me...did not authorize..." and other billing & payment concerns, please contact Customer Service to have this taken cared of prior to any / all other interactions.