Steve
Steve, Motorcycle Mechanic
Experience:  30+ yrs. experience, MMI, HD technician, HD early, engine rebuild/performance, bike builder, kit bike program manager, CCI 2001-2004
11090168

Ok turn on swich and keeps blowing light fuse try put on

Customer Question

ok turn on swich and keeps blowing light fuse try put on anything blinkers bright lights keeps blowing fuse start botton
JA: Do all the fuses have the correct amperage for the circuits they're in?
Customer: yes
JA: What is the model/year of your motorcycle?
Customer: 09 dyna super
JA: What year is your motorcycle?
Customer: 09
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: changing the blenker modul
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: i just had the fron t end change put a wide gulid from deom cycles
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Steve replied 4 months ago.

I don't understand what the start button has to do with this?

if the lights fuse blows when you turn on the ignition, how do you know the blinkers and high beams have anything to do with it?

please explain.

we can continue then.

Steve

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
alright, I have a new fuse in and all fuses are good, I turn the key switch on the fuel kicks in on my insterment panel theres a oil light is on. Now, just for example I push the blinker switch just to test it and boom the fuse blows and everything goes off. Again I put a new fuse repeat the same course with a new fuse except but this time I press the start button and fuse blows out. No matter what I do high beam low beam no matter what fuse blows out ever time. Also yesterday I tested and found out I have too much power running to my fuse pannel.
Expert:  Steve replied 4 months ago.

what does "I have too much power running to my fuse pannel" mean?

please be specific.

I think we are narrowing in on the problem.

Steve

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
When I used the oms meter it was reading 23 and both prongs light up and only one side should when only one should because one is suppose to ground. I'm not much of an electrition but a friend told me that is not suppose to be doing that.
Expert:  Steve replied 4 months ago.

that means nothing. "ohms" are irrelevant when speaking about "power".

measure the battery terminal voltage under the following conditions:

- ignition OFF.

- ignition ON.

- with the start button depressed.

to do this, set the meter to VDC, place the BLACK probe on the battery NEG terminal and the RED probe on the battery POS terminal and read the battery terminal voltage under the conditions specified above.

Steve

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
do think since the battery is brand new and has plenty of voltage and starter has good solenoind that it might be the Rectifier Regular? Could that cause the fuses to blow and the bike not to turn on and everything to be dead? I did a live wire crank on the starter relay and cranked no problem so starter relay is good. Could you answer soon because I'm fixing to leave for work Please. Thank you
Expert:  Steve replied 4 months ago.

I don't have enough information to answer.

- ignition OFF.

- ignition ON.

- with the start button depressed.

Steve

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
OK with the starter switch pressed key on 12.1 and key off 12.2
Expert:  Steve replied 4 months ago.

let's try that again......

first:

- ignition OFF.

then:

- ignition ON.

and then:

- with the start button depressed.

Steve

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
ignition off 12.3
ignition on 12.1
ignition on with start button depressed 12.1
Expert:  Steve replied 4 months ago.

your battery is only at a 60% state of charge.

it is in need of a full charge.

after charging, allow the battery to equalize, then repeat the voltage measurements.

let me know what you find.

Steve

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Alright
Expert:  Steve replied 4 months ago.

let me know what you find.

Steve

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Look, just tried hooked the battery up to charger and shows full charge. IT'S NOT THE BATTERY. It keeps blowing the fuses, the blinkers don't work, horn don't work, lights don't work, I cut all the zip ties checked all the wires ever wire looks good. The back light and front took out to the wiring that looks good. Checked under the rear fender wires good. Put everything back in place exactly the way I removed it, every wire looks excelent. Do you think it is the " Rectifier Regulator" like I asked you last night after the information I have given you? I have checked the battery on two different battery chargers both say full charge.
Expert:  Steve replied 4 months ago.

it is in need of a full charge.

IF your battery shows fully charged on the charger, your battery is bad.

in this case, you should replace it with a known good battery.

I recommend Interstate and HD.

let me know what you find.

Steve

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
You're full of crap dude I'm contacting paypal to get my money BACK YOU KEEP TELL ME THE SAME THING YOU DIDN'T EVEN ANSWER MY QUESTION DO YOU EVEN KNOW WHAT RECTIFIER REGUALTOR IS
Expert:  Steve replied 4 months ago.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

while at MMI I proposed changes to the electrical curriculum because what they were teaching was incorrect.

I've been an electronics technician, nuclear I&C technician and a licensed electrician for the past 40 years.

I was awarded Harley-Davidson electrical expert without even going to the factory school.

yes....I am well aware what a rectifier/regulator is and could explain that to you as well, but it's not your immediate problem.

you cannot troubleshoot electrical problems with a bad battery.

if I were you, I'd listen to me.

or you can continue to wonder why it doesn't work.

but insulting me isn't going to fix your bike.

your call.

Steve

Expert:  Steve replied 4 months ago.

let me know if you need more help.

if not, please leave a POSITIVE RATING.

thank you,

Steve