Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience
13948492

I have a 1999 Yamaha YZF R1 that I have been restoring over

Customer Question

I have a 1999 Yamaha YZF R1 that I have been restoring over the last year and a half. I was waiting for the major parts of the restore like plastics etc until I had it licensed and registered. It always rode great and ran awesome. Now that I am almost done with the major overhaul of the bike it has an issue. It starts up just fine and in most cases I make it about a block, maybe two before the oil and gas light comes on, I lose all power and the bike will continue to run at an idle but will not respond to any throttle. I can shut it down and start it again and it will start again like normal and do the same thing. Yesterday when I had it running it happened as soon as I kicked it into gear, before I even let the clutch out. I have replaced the main fuel pump relay, fuel pump, starter relay. Hoping anyone at all can shine some light on this!!
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Louie replied 9 months ago.

Hi and welcome to JustAnswer,

Thank you for the question and your patience. Should you still need assistance for information purposes only...

Initially, let's review the basics...

Inspect the battery, its ground lines and/or check/clean the battery cables + terminals, connectors and wiring as a preliminary consideration. Have the battery externally charged and then LOAD TESTed (even if new/charged and just for the purpose of eliminating it as a suspect).

Particular attention to all black wires including those tied to the battery's - terminal, harness to frame and engine ground.

Additionally, consider to hardwire a secondary ground line from the battery's - terminal to the engine. frame and harness' black wire(s).

With a volt/multi-meter, determine the battery voltage when:

• ignition OFF - 12.7V is good;
  • and then when ON - 12.5 is good;
  • when starting the engine - 11.0V is good;
  • engine at idle - 12.9V is good;
  • when attempting to rev the engine - 14.5V is good.