P.J., Technician
Experience:  10 years as a mechanic and fabricator in a privately owned, local, custom bike shop.

I have a 1999 Harley FXD Super Glide. Went to start it.

Customer Question

Hello. I have a 1999 Harley FXD Super Glide. Went to start it. Totally dead with ignition turned on. Battery is good. With a test light I have battery voltage on terminal A at ignition switch connector. When I switch to accessory, have voltage at terminals A and B, and gage lights up, but when I go to ignition on, I lose voltage at all three terminals, including A, which I guessing should be constant battery voltage. So I tried a new ignition switch, still have exact same concern. I don't have a schematic, is there an ignition relay which may have gone bad? I'm lost
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  P.J. replied 3 months ago.

It sounds like you have a short circuit somewhere in the system causing the main breaker to trip.

Your bike uses an auto-resetting breaker to protect the main circuits and it will trip off when a short circuit is present and reset a few seconds after the short is removed. If this is the case you should hear a click somewhere below the seat. A bad ignition relay, or wire feeding or leaving it, could cause the short circuit.

If you do hear that click when things shutoff and then, shortly after turning the ignition switch off, another click then you'll need to track down that short circuit and repair it to solve the issue.

I hope this helps. Please let me know if I can be of further assistance. Also, please leave a positive rating for my service today. Thanks, P.J.

Expert:  P.J. replied 3 months ago.

Here is the best schematic I can come up with for your bike.