kwiggins29059, Motorcycle Mechanic
Experience:  Experience in Harley Davidson and Triumph

I have a 1999 softtail with a stock evo engine and an s&s

Customer Question

I have a 1999 softtail with a stock evo engine and an s&s super e carb. The throttle has intermittently been sticking wide open. After looking at all the components outside of the carb I pulled it off and cleaned it. Now it doesn't stick at WOT but when I let off the RPMs slowly drop. Not quickly like it used to unless I force the throttle off. I'm not certain what to do at this point. Any suggestions?
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  kwiggins29059 replied 3 months ago.

Hello, couple of things to check

1. Unhook the throttle cable and manually rev the carb at the carb linkage. If it idles back down properly you know the cable needs to be replaced

2 if it doesn't idle back down look to see if it's closing all the way like it should when you let off. if not it's either a binding throttle shaft or worn return spring on the shaft

3. if both of the above check good spray around where the carb is mounted with some carb cleaner to check for vacuum leaks. a vacuum leak will make it overly lean and cause this.

Let me know what you find and we can work further if needed.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I appreciate the response. Put a few miles on today and it seems to have gotten better so I'm assuming not a vacuum leak. Must be the cable or the throttle shaft. I will look into. Thanks again!

Glad to hear it's straightening out some. I'm glad I could help.