Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience

I have a 1988 vulcan 88 1500. i purchased it used and it was

Customer Question

i have a 1988 vulcan 88 1500. i purchased it used and it was in storage with very old gas in the tank. I cleaned up the tank and took the carbs apart and cleaned them. I changed the fuel filter and spark plugs as well as the oil and air filters. I can get it to run on starting fluid but it will not run on it's own. I checked and the fuel pump has power and it does spurt fuel when i disconnect the line going to the carbs. i did not check the kickstand switch since it was running on the starting fluid. What would i check next. I couldn't find a carb rebuild kit that fit a 1988 88 Kaw Vulcan 1500.
JA: Is the fuel filter an external one, or is it inside the tank?
Customer: external
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: i listed everything in the first message. Gas filter, cleaned tank, cleaned carbs. replaced air filters. Checked power and function of fuel pump.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: The bike sat a long time with old gas. I had to clean nasty gas and gas sludg from tank. I have no history with the bike. I had to check and trace elelctric and clean connections to get the bike to try to start by turning over. New battery. Horn switch is bypassed and original doesn't work. Turning lights are busted. Bike was probably dropped.
Category: Motorcycle
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I also had to replace the 30 amp fuse behind the starter celonoid before I could get the bike to turn over.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
call my cell.(###) ###-####
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
how do I set this up. It's been 1/2 hour.
ready to cancel and find elsewhere what I need. Everyone doesn't know exactly how to use this site.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
hello. Still no reply? Am I doing something wrong?
Expert:  Louie replied 3 months ago.

Hi and welcome to JustAnswer,

Thank you for the question and your patience. Should you still need assistance for information purposes only...

Initially, proposed preliminary tries (if have not been done):

• • check if the spark plugs are getting wet with fuel after attempting to start normally (even if would not run);
  • • drain each carb separately and collect the fuel from each bowl individually to check/compare quantity and quality.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
thanks. I will give it a try.
Expert:  Louie replied 3 months ago.

Appreciate the post back and would look forward to an update when able.