Jeff Policky
Jeff Policky, Motorcycle Mechanic
Experience:  Yamaha Gold, Suzuki Gold, Honda Bronze, Polaris Bronze, BRP
17258690

I just bought a bike that has been totaled by the insurance

Customer Question

I just bought a bike that has been totaled by the insurance company (fzr 600)2009 model, the bike started but would not reev,goes off if I try to trotle. What do I have to do to make it reev it's less than 4000miles.
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  kwiggins29059 replied 10 months ago.

Hi, is the check engine light on and if so have you pulled the diagnostic codes?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Engine light goes off when bike start, does idle but will go off after a while.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Goes off when I try to trotle

Thanks, ther'es likely some codes. I'm suspecting the throttle position sensor. HEre's how to pull the codes.

1) Turn key to off
2) Turn ignition kill switch to run
3) Hold the select and reset button at the same time
4) Turn the key to run
5) Continue to hold the two buttons and count to about 10 at this point the display will show "d1"
6) Release the two buttons
7) Repress both buttons for 2 sec and the display will show d:01_____17

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I did as you said and the check engine light came on the problem still persist.
Expert:  RSRBOB replied 10 months ago.

Hi and thank you for your question.

Just to make sure I understand you correctly, you bought a 2009 FZ-6 that had been totaled out and will not rev above an idle. If that is not correct, please let me know what I interpreted incorrectly. I would also like to know why the bike was totaled out. Usually it is because the bike has been crashed and the repair costs exceed 80% of the retail value of the bike. If it was crashed, please describe what damage the bike has, or had if you have done any crash repairs on it so far. One last detail about that, has the bike had this same symptom from the very first time you tried to start it or did it develop this problem after awhile?

As far as the running problem, does it start in what would seem to be normal? Fairly quick and easy? Does the engine seem to have any unusual noises that it is making while idling?

It also sounds like you are not getting any "check engine" warning lights either.

If everything seems pretty normal, I would suggest your next step be performing a compression test on the engine. Almost all of the time if you have a fuel or ignition problem it would throw a code and the check engine light would come on. None of the mechanical systems are included in those self diagnostics and that is what is leading me to look in other areas.

If you wouldn't mind, please fill me in on the answers to those questions and we can proceed forward with the diagnosis and repair of your motorcycle.

Thanks,

Customer/p>
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Head on collision with bent forks, bike started easily with the check engine light going off at the very first time but would not reev does idle for a while and then goes off. But at a stage it started and reeves normal then went back to not reeving,.I did as I was told to do and the check engine light came on.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Damage to the forks and head lights
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Starting normal no unusual engine sound start like a new engine less than 4000miles.
Expert:  RSRBOB replied 10 months ago.

Thank you for the additional information.

I absolutely feel like you are trying to tell me everything, but the way I am reading it is confusing. Please indulge me one more time and allow me to ask the questions so they can be answered yes or no.

Has the check engine light ever come on after the engine started (after 1.3 seconds delay)?

IF yes, did it come on as the engine dies?

Or, did it come on after the engine died, after the fact?

Does it sound like the bike would essentially sit there and idle forever provided you never try to rev it?

When you try to rev the engine from idle, does it want to stall instantly?

Or when you start to rev it, it sounds like it wants to die and you let it return to idle and it continues to run?

Thanks,

Customer/p>
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
The very first time ,when I turned on the key to start all lights came on including the check light, and all went off when the engine started and all the lights come on when engine dies.Engine does idle for about 5min then dies but before then if try to Rev from idle it dies and takes about less than a minute to start again but after the first mechanic told me to do something like setting the key to off position and putting the kill switch to on and hold the set and preset bottom a kind of code came on the dashboard like id....16 and when I started the bike the check light came on whit the engine running at idle.
Expert:  RSRBOB replied 10 months ago.

So is the check engine light on now every time you start it?

Fault code 16 is a throttle position sensor(TPS for short). A faulty TPS could certainly create the symptoms you are experiencing. Obviously it is not the only thing, but, there is some sound logic pointing to the TPS.

Here is a link to a parts diagram of the throttle bodies. The TPS is on the right side of the throttle bodies bank. Reference # *****

http://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche.com/riva_normal/showmodel.asp?Type=13&make=yamahamc&a=658&b=25&c=0&d=2009%20FZ6%20AIR%20CLEANER%20W/%20INTAKE

They are saying it might be stuck. I would suggest pulling it off and inspecting it. The center where the throttle body shaft engages the TPS should rotate with little effort. You will most likely need a special "security" star bit to remove it. The "security" refers to a pin in the center of the star for the torx fastener. Harbor Freight, for one, sells an inexpensive set (-$10) of security bits if you need one.

If you have any more questions, feel free to ask.

Customer/p>