P.J.
P.J., Technician
Experience:  10 years as a mechanic and fabricator in a privately owned, local, custom bike shop.
75205684

S&s 96c.i. turns over fine with plugs out. put plugs in and

Customer Question

s&s 96c.i. turns over fine with plugs out. put plugs in and half a crank....maybe. battery is good, starter is good.i installed a new accel ignition and followed the static timing procedure. any clues? thanks
JA: Have you checked all the fuses? Do you have a wiring diagram?
Customer: fuses are good. just rewired the entire bike with better, heavier guage wire and battery terminals
JA: What is the model/year of your motorcycle?
Customer: custom build 2005 s&s engine, revera 6 speed trans, terry starter. starter also checks good
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: had the starter checked. ok. battery. ok
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: i think thats it
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Motorcycle Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  P.J. replied 4 months ago.

This issue can be caused by either an improper ignition timing or improperly adjusted pushrods. It can also be caused by mechanical issues inside the engine or inside the primary drive. This is assuming you don't have electric compression releases installed that are no longer working for some reason.

You can verify this by reaching down in the center hole of the rocker box cover and feeling for a rubber cap. If there is a cap present you have them and they are likely no longer working. If you don't feel the rubber cover you likely don't have them.

The first step is to verifying ignition timing for the ignition system you have installed.

Once that is verified correct, S&S recommends adjusting the pushrods so that a .050" oil cushion exists in the hydraulic lifters. This allows the valves to crack open earlier to bleed off excess cylinder pressures earlier. I recommend checking the cylinder pressures first to have a reference point. Anything over 180 psi is difficult for the starter to push past.

I hope this helps Please let me know if I can be of further assistance. Thanks, P.J.