P.J., Technician
Experience:  10 years as a mechanic and fabricator in a privately owned, local, custom bike shop.

I was riding down the road and lost all electrrical power to

Customer Question

I was riding down the road and lost all electrrical power to the bike. When I stopped the bike was smoking from the starter area. I could hear a whiring noise. I pulled the power cable from the battery and that stopped. When I tried to connect the power wire to the battery, the solenoid tries to engage / a clicking sound. What could be wrong
JA: Is the power loss consistent, or does it fluctuate?
Customer: consistent
JA: What is the model/year of your motorcycle?
Customer: 89 softail
JA: What year is your motorcycle?
Customer: 1989
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I would like to fix it myself, but I am not sure where to start looking for the short.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Motorcycle Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  P.J. replied 3 months ago.

The problem is a stuck starter solenoid. It happens when the contacts inside burn together or if the jackshaft has a problem not letting it kick back in. Typically the starter motor is damaged from the reverse rotation caused by either of these issues.

On your bike, removing the starter requires opening up the primary and removing the oil tank/battery tray. It is a pretty complicated repair.

I hope this helps. Please let me know if I can be of further assistance. Also, please leave a positive rating for my service today. Thanks, P.J.