Steve, Motorcycle Mechanic
Experience:  30+ yrs. experience, MMI, HD technician, HD early, engine rebuild/performance, bike builder, kit bike program manager, CCI 2001-2004

My name is I live in mo I just bought a 1882 FLH shovelhead

Customer Question

Hi my name is ***** ***** live in mo I just bought a 1882 FLH shovelhead bone stock after a lot of cleaning everything up an out I took a*****trip let's ssay so we could get to know each other lol anyway about 200 more miles in the battery strap grounded out on the poss term I bought another battery set of points an was off on the way home I wouldn't start from the button then the key switch on the dash shot craps I cleaned up the switch along side the road my problem is 100 miles from home it started poppin thru exhaust then it was like someone turned off the key I'm still having starter switch trouble but what's making her pop after warms up an 65 /70 mph thank u for ur help
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Steve replied 3 months ago.

the coil has 2 terminals. one to the points and a white one to the run/stop .

since the run/stop is in the same hand control as your start button, I would start by opening up the right switch housing and finding out what's going on in there.

inspect every inch of cable. this will require you to remove the brake lever bracket as well.

let me know if you need more help.