P.J., Technician
Experience:  10 years as a mechanic and fabricator in a privately owned, local, custom bike shop.

Need to know where the ignition wire is located on 2008

Customer Question

Need to know where the ignition wire is located on 2008 Heritage softail (near battery). Trying to connect Kuryakn sound bar.
JA: Have you tested the battery with a voltmeter? And can you see if it's leaking or not?
Customer: Not leaking.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I cannot locate the ignition wire to connect soundbar so unit only works when bike is on.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: That's it.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Motorcycle Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  P.J. replied 3 months ago.

There are several ways to make the connection. The connection will be made under the seat.

The best way is to connect to the P&A fuse in the fuse box by using an HD pigtail to connect to the existing accessory plug. This is an unused single wire with a plastic plug and terminal on it.

You can also connect to the any of the red/black wires under the seat leading into the fuse block. These are all switched wires. You must add a fuse if you tap into anything prior to the fuse block.

I hope this helps. Please let me know if I can be of further assistance. Also, please leave a positive rating for my service today. Thanks, P.J.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
The Kuryakyn Road Thunder Sound Bar By MTX instructions read a follows: Crimp the Quick Connect Male to the orange ignition wire on the sound bar and then with a plier add the T-Tap Quick Connect Female directly to the motorcycle ignition wire.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  P.J. replied 3 months ago.

That is correct. They love tap splices. They don't care whether or not you have trouble with your bike somewhere down the line. That's why their disclaimer exists on those same instructions.

I wouldn't suggest using them. They cut into an existing wire which weakens it. In short order the wire, which originally supplied power to another component on your bike, now no longer works and you end up trying to figure out where the problem is.

I suggest using one of the two methods I list above and solder the connection if you choose to tap into any wire that that doesn't plug in.

Thanks, P.J.