P.J.
P.J., Technician
Experience:  10 years as a mechanic and fabricator in a privately owned, local, custom bike shop.
75205684

2003 fatboy wont start was riding stopped shut off engine

Customer Question

2003 fatboy wont start was riding stopped shut off engine went to restart lout clicking wouldn't start. Jumo started back put on trickle charger battery cgarged full tried to start nothing but the loud clicking and battery was flat again
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  P.J. replied 4 months ago.

I would suggest having the battery load tested just to verify whether or not it is good. Trickle chargers typically take 72 or more hours to properly charge a battery. Once you're confident it is good then you should look for loose or corroded battery cables or connections. Check all ends of all cables. The ground connection on top of the frame just behind the tank is a common source of power trouble.

If all these things test good then the next step is to make a jumper wire out of fairly heavy wire (12 gauge or so) and jump from the battery positive to the green wire terminal on the starter. If the starter turns over good when doing this the the issue is in the starter button circuit. If not, then you need a solenoid replaced or rebuilt.

I hope this helps. Please let me know if I can be of further assistance. Also, please leave a positive rating for my service today. Thanks, P.J.