Jeff Policky
Jeff Policky, Motorcycle Mechanic
Experience:  Yamaha Gold, Suzuki Gold, Honda Bronze, Polaris Bronze, BRP

I have 125 Zuma 2013 I've mounted in a trailer to push my

Customer Question

I have 125 Zuma 2013 I've mounted in a trailer to push my bike all I require is a light and battery charge and I have that my ECU went out I can't get it to work because so many things are removed off my bike trailer can I convert my bike to a CDI and get rid of all that wiring
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  RSRBOB replied 3 months ago.

Hi and thank you for your question. I am not clear at all about what the trailer has to do with this.

I truly want to help you but am totally confused on what the problem is.

It sounds like the bike is not running and you believe the ECU has failed. You ask about converting it to CDI. Even without knowing exactly what is going on here, that is not realistic. There are a multitude of problems with that, some of which I will touch on. The first issue is,your scooter is fuel injected (providing it is a genuine Yamaha Zuma 125) so if you could get rid of the stock ignition, you would also have to replace the fuel injection system with a carburetor. That would entail finding or making brackets, cables, manifolds, etc to actually make it work. It could also include jetting the carb so it actually runs properly as well. All of that is no small undertaking. Then, the next problem is, no one makes a replacement CDI for your bike. To find something to be able to adapt to your bike would be extremely time consuming because a lot of it is going to be trial and error testing and machining parts so they can be adapted and fit to your bike. By the time you got all that working, you would have so much time and money in it, you probably could have bought another scooter and saved yourself the trouble.

Now, if you can tell me what problem the scooter is having and why you don't want to fix what you have, we can go from there. When you explain it to me, keep in mind I have never seen your scooter or this trailer set up, so you have to be very specific. If the scooter has been modified to work in or with this trailer, tell me everything that was done to it as well. From what I know so far, it isn't even close as to what is the easiest solution is, fix the stock components. If I am missing something, that is what I need you to fill me in on.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
In the trailer is there cuz I don't have a license and I can ride the bike with motorized trailer I bought the bike junk the frame was wrecked I got the bike engine running mounted in a trailer running around for a couple of years due to a mishap with a battery charger is somehow damaged the ECU I've already put a carburetor on it from a GY6 the carburetor is not as efficient as the fuel injection was but it runs okay now all the sudden the ECU completely failed and I get no spark I've read all the China Motors are the same based on a Honda motor from years ago all I run is one hot wire for lights can I just put a CDI unit on there to run the ignition
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I guess mostly I need to know will my Magneto running CDI and how to hook it up I don't think it will require any machine work
Expert:  RSRBOB replied 3 months ago.

Two things.

First, is this a Yamaha Zuma 125 or not? IF not a Yamaha, what brand is it?

2nd, can you attach a picture of what this thing looks like? I cant imagine what you are talking about a driveable trailer. Is it a trailer with the engine and drive train moiunted on a trailer connected to the back of a bicycle to push it? That really doesn't matter that much, but I am curious and it might help.

If GY6 stuff fit it, I would imagine getting a GY6 magneto assembly, CDI box and rectifier/regulator(to charge the battery) should work.

I just don't know exactly what you have as far as brand of engine.

I used to source parts from One thing I like about them is they have pictures of the components so you should be able to compare what you have (like how the stator mounts to the cases) and help you figure out which parts should fit.