Pete, Technician
Experience:  17 years automotive training and experience.
14928985

2000 Sportster XLH883. Problem: Oil Leak(s). About 150 miles

Customer Question

2000 Sportster XLH883. Problem: Oil Leak(s). About 150 miles on complete fresh rebuild with from ground up, stem to stern. Bought bike from Custom Bike Builder this way. Ambient temp here is 100 -110F. First month, no problem. It seems unrelated but I took bike to Harley Dealer to install new turn signals (did not have signals or wiring when purchased) and to install forward controls. First ride afterwards, I noticed it leaking after reaching full operating temp. When on side stand, it leaks from lowest point under left side. It also drips from under right side of motor. Both drips are around where the mid foot pegs used to be. I am also noticing a knock getting louder. I have been under bike and cannot pinpoint where exactly it is leaking from. I checked torque on case covers and they all seemed to be at 110 in lbs. The motor is completely powder coated black which doesn't help. It's been suggested to me that the mechanic disregarded the new rebuild and when check riding it after forward control installation, rode it like he stole it. I hope not.
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Pete replied 5 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.My info is somewhat limited on your model here but I had seen no one else has responded and would like to see if I can help here.If at any time you feel that I cannot help with this please let me know.

In allot of cases with hard to see leaks you can clean off the oil and add oil dye to the oil from a local parts store and operate it for a short period then use either a black fluorescent light to check for leaks or a leak detection light.This will help in pinpointing the leak.It may be the case itself leaking as it may be leaking where it seals together or due to damage to it.This would be the best way to locate the leak then you can determine from there if this was just something that had occurred or if the repair facility may have caused this leak.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I'm already aware of the leak detection methods but thanks anyway. An experienced Harley expert will be more than familiar with all Sportster motors.
Expert:  Pete replied 5 months ago.

I will open your question up for others here to see if someone else can assist further on this as there may be others here that may have more info on what to check or do with this issue.I hope you can get this resolved with ease.No need to reply to my last post here unless it is a last resort as it will keep your question locked to me and others will not be able to view it.If you feel you want to continue to work with me on this feel free to reply at any time but keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair this without seeing your vehicle.

Thanks Pete