Jeff Policky
Jeff Policky, Motorcycle Mechanic
Experience:  Yamaha Gold, Suzuki Gold, Honda Bronze, Polaris Bronze, BRP

Oil is getiing real hot on my yamaha grizly 600 ,its oil

Customer Question

Oil is getiing real hot on my yamaha grizly 600 ,its oil cooled.
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  RSRBOB replied 3 months ago.

Hi and thank you for using

You stated that the oil is getting really hot on your 600 Grizzly. I am curious if it is creating any other problems for you, like running or drive-ability type issues. Also, is this a new problem, meaning you have noticed it has changed recently? One last question for now, how are you determining the oil is too hot? Do you have a number on what temp your oil is running at?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Its running so hot enough to shutoff the engen it wont start back up until the engen cools off.1 I checked the and bypass the fan temperature sensor and ran the engen with the cooling fan on the whole time it ran about 4 or 5 minutes and stopped from overheating .
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
1 cheked the fan ,cleaned radiater its oil cooling syetem ,changed oil ,oil temp is about 359 .
Expert:  RSRBOB replied 3 months ago.

Thank you for the additional information.

I do need clarification on the oil temp. Where are you measuring it and how are you measuring it? That is really hot!

Also, would you do a compression test for me as well? It concerns me that the engine is stopping and won't restart until it cools back down.

When you ran it the 4 to 5 minutes with the fan on, was it just sitting there idling or were you out riding it for 4 or 5 minutes?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
It is a recent problem, its running hot after 4to 5 minutes whether idling or riding, I have tried it both ways ,and I'll do the compression test I'll let you know as soon as complete .thanks again.
Expert:  RSRBOB replied 3 months ago.

I appreciate it. Since it is a recent problem, has it had any maintenance or service work done recently? On the same note, any modifications, either recently or any non stock parts on the ATV? Does it still have stock wheels and tires on it?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
still have original wheels and tires ,how ever changed the stater on it couple months ego .
Expert:  RSRBOB replied 3 months ago.

OK, the stator shouldn't create an overheat condition.

Have you recently changed the oil, perhaps to a different brand or viscosity? I was flipping through the service manual and in the trouble shooting section relative to what you are dealing with, they focused a lot of their efforts on the oil. Either it was old, wrong viscosity or not of a good quality.

I am still interested in the compression. There could very well be a tie in between a mechanical issue that is causing friction and causing the oil to get so hot.