Steve, Motorcycle Mechanic
Experience:  30+ yrs. experience, MMI, HD technician, HD early, engine rebuild/performance, bike builder, kit bike program manager, CCI 2001-2004

E84 FXWG front wheel seems to suddenly wants to steer left

Customer Question

E84 FXWG front wheel seems to suddenly wants to steer left or right from slight road anomalies. Almost feels like it is going to lay down. Many years no problems until I serviced forks and damaged a tube and replaced them with 1" overs and the problem seem to have started then. Finally replaced those with stock length (24 1/4) tubes from J&P Cycle and new seals plus fresh fork oil. Steering is better on slow turns but the sudden front wheel slip sideways seem to be there though not as severe. Tire pressures are correct, single disc front brake, spoked 21" wheel, good tread, brakes not dragging, wheels needed no balancing according to my test of free spinning on axle and wheel stops in different place every time. Front brake has slight pulsation when applied. I use back brake always and front when a quicker stop is needed.
The sensation it is going to go down happens whenever and is getting unnerving
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Pete replied 3 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.My info is somewhat limited on your model here but I had seen no one else has responded and would like to see if I can help here.If at any time you feel that I cannot help with this please let me know.

I see no one has posted any help with this here.In some cases this can be due to the info you may be looking for may be difficult to obtain or the correct person that can help may not be online.

This is a tough one to answer from here fully without seeing the model unfortunately.It may be that the forks were not installed or torqued properly to your model here causing this issue needing re checked and corrected.I would have the wheel checked to see if it is bent or damaged in any way needing repaired or replaced.If these are all o.k. let me know.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Expert:  Steve replied 3 months ago.

it sounds like your steering neck bearings are loose.

let me know if you need instructions to tighten the bearing pre-load.