Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience
13948492

I own a 950 Yamaha Vstar Tourer 2009, and on a recent road

Customer Question

I own a 950 Yamaha Vstar Tourer 2009, and on a recent road trip to Grand Canyon, CO after climbing several mountain passes and doing Mesa Verde, my ignition began to rev on 3,000 rpms and wouldn't adjust to normal once we came down the mountain. It is still revving high rpms and will not idle at stop signs either, but makes a high noise like a wild horse wanting to lunge forward in lst gear. We tried checking hoses and cleaning out everything once home, but my tac still revs very high (2-3,000 rpms) once the bike heats up.
Any suggestions? I am taking her in for the Fuel Hose Leakage recall July 6th. cuz it was never done on the bike by the previous owner.
Category: Motorcycle
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I posted a Yamaha motorcycle question on July 1st and have gotten no answer either way. You promised 10 min up to 24 hrs. and you have not sent any email notices.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Louie replied 5 months ago.

Hi Carole and welcome to JustAnswer,

Thank you for the question and your patience. Should you still need assistance for information purposes only...

Initially, performing a HARD RESET could be tried; i.e. dis-connecting the battery's - terminal for a period of time. The idea is to reset the ECU. A reset is both a test and a try of a fix. As it implies, a reset would force the ECU to revert back to factory defaults. Please keep in mind that this also would be removing stored error codes.

This is very critical - a reset however would not be corrective of a hardware concern; but it would be confirmed. In some instances, it may even expose/cause other issues.