Steve, Motorcycle Mechanic
Experience:  30+ yrs. experience, MMI, HD technician, HD early, engine rebuild/performance, bike builder, kit bike program manager, CCI 2001-2004

Engine light has come on, no apparent reason running fine,

Customer Question

engine light has come on, no apparent reason running fine, has 35000km on clock, 98 roadking classic
JA: Do you have the trouble code? Do you have a code reader or scan tool?
Customer: no
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: tried nothing just want to know what may be the issue
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Motorcycle Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Steve replied 3 months ago.

the engine light means you have stored diagnostic codes.

the ONLY way to retrieve the codes on your bike is with a HD diagnostic test lamp (HD-41197) or the HD "scanalyzer" test instrument. these are ONLY available from your HD dealership.

if it were me and I had your bike, I would purchase one or both of those specialty tools.

the engine light could mean anything from high or low charging system voltage to a failed sensor.

I would measure the battery voltage with the engine at 2,000 rpm (fast idle) to ensure the charging voltage was around 14.2 vdc.

as long as you bike has no issue, there is nothing else you can do until something fails and leaves you stranded.

Expert:  Steve replied 3 months ago.

let me know if you need more help.

if not, please leave a POSITIVE RATING.

thank you,