Kenny O.
Kenny O., Motorcycle, ATV, Mules, Side by Side's Product Specialist. All Brands
Experience:  Worked for Kawasaki Motors as a Product Support Specialist (Factory Support) for 24 years

I have a 2011 ranger 800 HD EFI when it get hot it will not

Customer Question

I have a 2011 ranger 800 HD EFI when it get hot it will not start until it cools off?
JA: Does the engine turn over? How old is the battery?
Customer: It turns over fine just want fire off
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I'am but haven't done anything yet
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: No
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Motorcycle Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 3 months ago.

Hi my name is*****'m the side by side expert

Couple of things first, then we'll get started

• Model code,if you are not sure then I can get it from the 17 digit frame number
  • Hours currently on this unit ?
  • Spark, do you know of the spark is going away ?
  • After it quits, can you here the fuel pump cycle ?
  • How long (estimated) time does it have to sit before it will restart ?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
frame #4xaty76a0b2170923
It's has spark
The fuel pump cycles
225 hours
It will start after about 10 min
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 3 months ago.

So when it dies it is like a light switch, or does it seems to sputters and then dies ?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
It don't die it just want start after it get hot and the fan works
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 3 months ago.

Do you have the ability to test fuel pressure ?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 3 months ago.

OK, I would like to try to narrow this down to a specific area meaning, if its fuel related or ignition, an easy check that you could perform is when the unit gets hot, spray starting fluid in to the intake, if the unit start or tries to start then we could pretty much relate it to fuel, if it does the same then it would have to be on the ignition side.

You have not got any warnings on the dash maybe indicating there is a problem ?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
It is not giving any codes or the check engine is not coming on so I will that that when it happens again
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 3 months ago.

Try that to get an idea as least, so lets say that an injector is hanging open (fuel pressure will detect that likely) so the next time that happens, after you try starting fluid and it doesn't start, then they giving a little throttle as if it was rich or loaded up from a stuck injector, if then it starts then there is an issue with an injector.

I think you should be able to narrow it down, this is what they would do in a shop, the technician would have to at least get pointed in the right direction.

Let me know what happens !

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 3 months ago.

Good lets try this first, one thing I didn't clarify with you when the unit wont start, have you actually verified that there is spark ?

Expert:  Kenny O. replied 3 months ago.

I just wanted to throw this by you, you have an intermittent failure going on, what's going is somewhat in your favor, meaning it will failure regularly when the engine gets hot. Usually when that symptom exist you look at the component that is related to excessive heat. With fuel injected units and also the with electronic ignition the common part is the CPS and is generally the culprit on most evasive failures. So go ahead and download the PDF file I created for you, you'll need a multi-meter to perform the test, ideally you need to test perform test when cold and then hot after the failure occurs.