Jeff Policky
Jeff Policky, Motorcycle Mechanic
Experience:  Yamaha Gold, Suzuki Gold, Honda Bronze, Polaris Bronze, BRP

Im putting new breaks on the back of my 2014 Cross counrty

Customer Question

Im putting new breaks on the back of my 2014 Cross counrty touring, the bottom stainless steel clip fell out and I CANT fifure out where it goes or how it goes back in PLEASE HELP
Category: Motorcycle
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 3 months ago.

Hi Darrin give me a minute while I grab a manual, do you have the model code by chance and also the mileage ?

Also I see conflicting years ?2010 or 2014 ?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Don't have any code, milages doesnt matter but it's 17000 year 2014
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 3 months ago.

Sorry, I will opt out and let someone else guess what you have !

Have good day !

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Yeah I figured this was just another ripoff site!!!!!
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 3 months ago.

No its not actually, most of us experts have 30 plus in this industry, myself have over 40 years. In order to give quality answers it requires us to have the exact models that we are dealing with, you might have forgot that we don't have the luxury to touch the bike let alone see that we are looking at, not getting all the correct information is what I refer to as, "garbage in, garbage out"

I was prepared to supply you with pictures and diagrams on the assembly of your rear caliper, now you can go spend a $100+ on a manual and or truck it to a dealer and have them repair you brakes and experience the exorbitant charges that they charge.

Sorry you feel that way, I think if you have a little better attitude and trust people that have worked on bikes for many years you would have had a better outcome.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Those are all real good excuses for ripping me off for 5 dollars but I did give you ALL the information you asked for i told you 2014 Victory Cross Country Touring 106 motor 17000 miles 6 speed transmission which if you was the pro you say you are you would know that ALL Victory bikes in this year come equipped with106 motor and 6 speed trans! I'm tired of getting ripped off, so if you don't have help for me I will cancel the payment as you have given me NOTHING but excuses!
Expert:  RSRBOB replied 3 months ago.

I am looking at a diagram of your rear caliper and need to know which clip you are confused about proper installation. It has 2. One goes in the before the brake pads, clipping on to the caliper, the other smaller one goes on the trailing side of the caliper to absorb the movement of the pads as the brakes are applied. I am attaching a diagram of the rear brake caliper to hopefully assist you in assembly.

The small clip has to be installed so the bridge that joins the left have and right half is outboard of the disc (straddling). It also goes opposite the pin that passes through the pads to hold them on one end in the caliper. The tabs that are on the pads towards the front will actually run inside that clip. To nail it down from there, look for the tabs on the clip that are bent back and those grab on to the caliper to hold the clip in place during caliper installation.

The larger of the two clips installs inside the caliper before the pads are put in. Again, look for the tabs that are bent up and those will grab the caliper to hold it in place during pad removal/installation. Also, look for matching up wear marks that should be present on a caliper that has 17000 miles on it to confirm you have the correct orientation front to rear on the large clip. The curvature of the large clip indicates that it is installed so the curvature agrees with the circular line of the rotor. Think of 2 circles, with one inside the other, parallel or concentric so to speak. If you look at the large clip from the top down, you should see how one side looks like a giant letter I. That "I" side is installed inward, or towards the wheel. The outer edge looks more like a straight line.

If you have any more questions, feel free to ask.