Steve, Motorcycle Mechanic
Experience:  30+ yrs. experience, MMI, HD technician, HD early, engine rebuild/performance, bike builder, kit bike program manager, CCI 2001-2004

I just replaced my idle and throttle cables but I believe I

Customer Question

I just replaced my idle and throttle cables but I believe I have the mixed up
JA: How many miles are on the car? What size is the engine?
Customer: Vtwin 107.000
JA: What is the make/model/year of your car?
Customer: 2000 road king
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I have put the cables in myself but my throttle does not open much
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: No I would just like to know if I can switch them at the arb
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Motorcycle
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Steve replied 4 months ago.

what procedure did you use to adjust the cables.?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I have moved the adjusting cable nuts in both directions ...Still, when I open the throttle the butterflies only open a quarter of the way when they are supposed to open more. Can I switch the cables at the carb( by the breather). ? That is my only question .
Expert:  Steve replied 4 months ago.

you cannot swap cables.

- slack both cables fully.

- adjust the throttle (pull open) cable until you hear the butterfly hit the full open stop just as the throttle grip hits the full pen position.

- snug the throttle cable lock nut.

- adjust the Idle (pull closed) cable to remove all slop from the throttle grip but not so much that the throttle does not snap closed from pull open (open throttle all the way and release)

- if that does not resolve your issue, you do not have the correct cables for your bike and/or intake system (carb or throttlebody).