Kenny O.
Kenny O., Motorcycle, ATV, Mules, Side by Side's Product Specialist. All Brands
Experience:  Worked for Kawasaki Motors as a Product Support Specialist (Factory Support) for 24 years
30381042

I have a Kawasaki mule 550 that has some sort of electrical

Customer Question

I have a Kawasaki mule 550 that has some sort of electrical problem. I can't get it to turn over with any of my 3 brand new batteries. It sometimes turns over when I have it hooked to a brand new jump box. I have access to a multimeter. Any help is appreciated
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 5 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** am I speaking to ?

If you can give me a the frame number (17 digits) and the hours on this unit,

In the mean time please install a "known good" battery and I would like you perform the test below, I understand what you posted originally.

You’ll need a multi-meter and set it to VDC, and since we are only testing the battery (12 volts) you can set it on the scale accordingly.

1. Key off, we need to establish “battery” voltage, take a measurement and record it.

2. Key on, observe the voltage drop with the key on, and record it.

3. Key on, now while observing your meter, attempt to start the engine and observe the voltage drop, and record that. If your meter doesn’t have a peak voltage setting, you might have to do this a few times to get an accurate reading.

Once you get the results, please get back to me.

Thanks

Kenny

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I am still waiting for my battery to finish charging, in the mean time, this is the information I can provide:My name is***** year of my model is 2001. The vin is JK1AFBC191B526713. The hours on the unit are 1600. While the mule is running, without a battery connected, Im getting a VDC of about 1.8V with some fluctuation. Will notify further information when battery finishes charge.
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 5 months ago.

One other question I had, what usage does this Mule see on a daily basis, if farm use is it around animal feces ?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Usage is pretty inconsistent. I guess you would call it seasonal with moderate use through the spring and summer months and occasional use throughout the rest of the year. Mostly personnel transport on residential streets, not towing or off road use.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
For the record, every further attempt I have made to jump the Mule off, with no battery and a jump box, has been successful.
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 5 months ago.

OK this thing definitely has electrical issues, so we need to get a battery in this thing that we know is good and then start from square one, I don't want to use any other external voltage to the unit while we are doing test.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Is there a chance this is the result of a bad ground? I found a ground on the chassis that's charred in half.
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 5 months ago.

Ahh yes most definitely, that's not good, that grounds the rear swing arm, that's what I'll call it, which the engine is attached to, you need to get that repaired and then you need to perform that test I posted up prior, also need to look at the small black/yellow wires in the main harness, you might have damage to that as it will try to ground through the smaller gage wires when the main ground fails.

Let me know

Thanks

Kenny

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
The new battery was installed. Meter read 12.8 VDC. I turned the switch to the on position, all electronics worked. Attempted to start engine, the starter tried to engage but I immediately lost power to everything including lights. Now I can't even get the lights to come back on. I can't observe a voltage drop because it is staying steady at 12.8 from off, on, and start postion.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Once again, the jump box worked right away
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 5 months ago.

Did you fix that ground that was broken ?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Ground has been fixed and I had to replace the loose connection to my positive terminal cable. With switch in the ON position I'm reading 12.4 and in START position I even out at about 11.1
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 5 months ago.

So no jumper, when you start the unit is drops down to 11.1 volts, correct ?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Correct. 13v with key off. 12.8v with key on and no headlights. 11.1v on the battery when I hit the ignition. Is there a way I can get a parts number from you for an air filter? I've noticed this model has two air filters and one of them has deteriorated the foam element around the paper filter.
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 5 months ago.

OK Josh, so everything is good, I'll give you the part numbers, I would also replace the fuel filter and I includes the ground wire also

• 11029-1004 Air Filter $34.47
  • 49019-1055 Fuel Filter $16.44
  • 92086-1054 Ground Wire $19.39

Thanks Josh

Kenny