Steve
Steve, Motorcycle Mechanic
Experience:  30+ yrs. experience, MMI, HD technician, HD early, engine rebuild/performance, bike builder, kit bike program manager, CCI 2001-2004
11090168

I tried to get my 2003 xl883r running yesterday after a lay

Customer Question

Hi Pearl, I tried to get my 2003 xl883r running yesterday after a lay up of seven years!! I jump started it from my car battery, there was a lot of clicking before the starter engaged (poss solenoid) and after a few attempts the bike was dead (no power at all to the electrical system) I assumed it might be the main circuit breaker so I left it alone for 30mins but with no result. I (stupidly poss) bypassed the circuit breaker by joining the wires together but still no power at all. Have I killed it or am I missing something obvious??? Hope to hear from you soon. Rich
JA: How old is the battery? Have you checked the battery gauge on the dash?
Customer: new car battery
JA: What is the model of your '03 motorcycle?
Customer: 883r
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yes bypassing main circuit breaker
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: Yes, I'm possibly an idiot!
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Motorcycle Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Steve replied 5 months ago.

NEVER jump start a motorcycle with a car. you may have fried the ignition system.

your battery is dead.

you need to do a few things BEFORE you try to start the engine because, if you don't , it won't start.

- drain and remove the fuel tank. flush the tan with kerosene and, once clean, flush with gasoline.

- replace all fuel lines.

- remove the carburetor, disassemble and clean. ensure you remove the jets and clean every hole with carb cleaner.

- replace the vacuum lines.

once the fuel system is cleaned, add fresh fuel and add SEAFOAM for additional cleaning.

- install a new battery. I recommend HD and INTERSTATE only.

let me know if you have any other issues.

Steve

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Hi Steve,My issue is not with getting the bike started its with the dead electrical system, I've checked the main 30A circuit breaker for continuity with a multimeter and it seems fine so the issue is why am I getting no electrical power at all when the ignition key is turned?Richard
Expert:  Steve replied 5 months ago.

- see answer above.

let me know if you need more help.

-Steve

Expert:  Steve replied 4 months ago.

let me know if you need more help.

if not, please leave a POSITIVE RATING.

thank you,

Steve