Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience

Are you really able to help us? We have a brand new Tao Tao

Customer Question

Are you really able to help us?
JA: Yes, I was born in America.
Customer: We have a brand new Tao Tao Moped. We just put it together on Monday and it ran fine yesterday morning. My son rode it to school for a summer camp where it sat for about an hour. Afterwards, it started right off again and he drove it a couple miles to a friends house and stopped it. The next time he went to start it, it would not start. Every time he tried to start it, gas would poor out of the bottom. The 14 year old boys tinkered with it on their own for awhile before calling my husband. He resolved the leaking gas, but now we can't get it to start at all. Everyone is frustrated. Any ideas?
JA: Does the engine turn over? How old is the battery?
Customer: The scooter is brand new. So, I am assuming the battery is too. The engine turns over..yes.
JA: What is the model/year of your motorcycle?
Customer: 2016 Tao Tao 50
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: We cannot find anyone in town to help us. We have taken the seat off and looked for leaks. The boys tried adjusting the idle screw.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: We just tried right now and the engine is now not turning over.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Motorcycle Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Motorcycle
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Louie replied 4 months ago.

Hi Glen and welcome to JustAnswer,

Thank you for the question and your patience. Should you still need assistance for information purposes only...

Initially and if have not been tried; inspect the battery, its ground lines and/or check/clean the battery cables + terminals, connectors and wiring as a preliminary consideration. Have the battery externally charged and then LOAD TESTed (even if new/charged and just for the purpose of eliminating it as a suspect).

Depending on the version, try with the kick start.

Still, it would appear to be a fuel flooding issue. Proposed preliminary tries (if have not been done):

• • check/clean the spark plug and the combustion chamber;
  • • check the quantity and quality of the engine oil.

A friendly reminder; exercise due care and caution in dealing with fuel / leak.

Then if safe, consider checking for spark. Please click HERE.