TIMOTO
TIMOTO, Motorcycle Mechanic
Experience:  Honda registered technician, silver level award, former Kawasaki/Suzuki tech, 40+ years exp.
8313095

I know you are not supposed to take your hands off the bars.

Customer Question

I know you are not supposed to take your hands off the bars. that being said, I ride a 2002 intruder 1500 vl. good tires and pressure. Once in awhile in my subdivision at 25 to 30 mph I would notice a side to side wiggle of the bars. Today it did it at 50 mph. I have not let it continue but for a second or two since I grab the bars. Today I just barely held the grips and I could feel it shaking. I do not notice it in the corners although I have not had the guts to corner without hands.
Thanks for the help
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  TIMOTO replied 5 months ago.

The most likely cause of the problem is the steering head bearings are loose and need to be adjusted. The looser they get the worse the shake will become.