Kenny O.
Kenny O., Motorcycle, ATV, Mules, Side by Side's Product Specialist. All Brands
Experience:  Worked for Kawasaki Motors as a Product Support Specialist (Factory Support) for 24 years
30381042

On our Harley 2016 Tri Glide the exhaust under the passenger

Customer Question

On our Harley 2016 Tri Glide the exhaust under the passenger and drivers feet gets so hot after 8 miles you can hardley stand the heat. It gets so hot the chrome smokes. It was so hot it lite the ground up under the bike like a red light.
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 5 months ago.

Hi Max, my name is Kenny

Max I can give you some ideas on your problem, so get me a little up to speed on this model, this unit is a result of an aftermarket manufacture that produced this vehicle, correct ?

Do you know who manufactured the exhaust or are they using the original ?

How many miles do you have on this unit ?

Thanks

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
184 miles Should be original exhaust.
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 5 months ago.

What company did the conversion on this unit ?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
We bought it directly from Harley Dealer so we assumed Harley.
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 5 months ago.

OK I just wanted to make sure that its not another manufacture that might have produced this. The Tri Glide I believe went into agreements with Leman Trikes in 2008 to build this Trike, Leman Trikes builds conversion kits for other manufactures, Leman Trikes is out of Spearfish South Dakota.

As you know that this trike is based off the Electra Glide Ultra Classic which is the conventional two wheel touring motorcycle, I'm assuming that your salesman would explained all of this to you.

So Harley Davidson supplied their parts or half the bike minus the back and then that is shipped off to Spearfish originally, after the owner of Leman passed 2012, then the assembly moved to New York, how much this is 100% Harley today is something that I'm not sure of ?

The problem you are having is something that would concern me especially for the uncomfortable fact of what the problem produces, and then getting so hot to the point that's its creating a safety issues.

Initially its telling me that the exhaust is getting so hot that I would assume its a fuel injection issue, not sure where the catalytic converter is located on this exhaust but its likely something going on there, and that can be related to the fuel management.

My suggestion to you, is get the bike back to the dealership where it was purchased and explain your disappointment and discomfort with the heat that the exhaust produces, and let them know that you feel is an issue for you, and that this is a safety issue not only for you and your passenger for the surroundings that come in contact with the exhaust. With the mileage that is on the bike and the year this has to be covered under normal warranty coverage (giving there is a defect) and if for some reason the base warranty has expired, you have an emissions warranty that is most definitely covered under.

So something is going on where it producing excessive heat into the exhaust that needs to be looked into, I don't think that I would except the answer that you might get from them and that is "this is a normal condition" for this model, if that happens it might be worth your time to call Harley Davidsons consumer services hotline and portray your disappointment in your recent purchase, at least if there is a problem down the road its on record with them.

(there could be an inherent design issue when this was designed)

Let me know of this help or you have any other concerns, I worked for a manufacture for 25 years so I have a pretty good knowledge of the internal workings and this will be in your best interest.

Thanks

Kenny

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thank you for your information.
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 5 months ago.

Your welcome Max, I just find it hard to believe that something that expensive would have an inherent design flaw as something as simple is an exhaust that has a design problem, that's why I think you have another issue with what I mentioned earlier.

Let me know what transpires, I would be interested it what they say.

Thanks

Kenny

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
We went to Harley Davidson they said that is normal. They said they could take the cataltic converter out for 1,000 dollars.
So I took the catalitic converter out myself. My 17 year old granddaughter drove it several miles today with no heat problem. The converter sits under the right side feet places.
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 5 months ago.

Thanks Max, see I don't buy that from the dealer, Harley I'm sure has received complaints from end users, I guarantee that Harleys directives would not suggest, to have the dealer suggest to the end user that they should remove the converter and then charge him $1000, in my opinion that's letting the manufacture off easy. I totally understand your thinking and you just want the heat to go away.

Just be careful about tampering with Federal Emissions, keep all parts as I anticipate that the time is coming soon where this activity is going to start to be enforced, I know in Arizona (Maricopa County) is there, and California is about ready to pull the trigger.

I'm in California and the dealers don't blatantly come out and offer that, we have two organizations CARB and AQMD, will send in hidden people to dealers and in most cases its can be a $100,000 fine and the risk of loosing your DMV license.

Hey Max if your happy, that's all that really matters, glad its fixed.

Thanks

Kenny

Expert:  Kenny O. replied 5 months ago.

Hi Max this is just a follow up on your question, if more help is needed please reply back and we can continue and further diagnosing your problem, if satisfied with my help, please accept as I can get credited for helping you. Thanks again for using Just Answer, if help is need in the future, you can request my assistance and will be glad to help.

Thanks

Kenny