Matt, Engineer
Experience:  Honors degree in Mechanical Engineering, worked 8 years as a Formula 1 engine engineer.

My 2012 ranger 6x6...slowly drains battery...till it won't

Customer Question

my 2012 ranger 6x6...slowly drains battery...till it won't start. Battery is good
JA: Does the engine turn over? How old is the battery?
Customer: battery is new.....within a week after a full charge is is deaed....
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: faster when using lights...obviously
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: going out now to check voltage while running...
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Motorcycle Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Motorcycle
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
slow idle 13 volts..... fast idle 14.25 volts
Expert:  Matt replied 4 months ago.

I'd first check the easy things like is the boot light or any other interior light staying on then check that the main battery connections are tight and in good condition also check the earth strap to the engine / gearbox.Next I'd check the current drain aspect, the best way to find what circuit is causing the excessive currant drain is to fit a current sensing multimeter in series with the positive battery lead on the car and the battery, or use a current clamp meter on the battery positive cable.

A typical current drain with everything off and un-alarmed should be around 0.05Amp and if its higher than this remove a fuse and re-measure, if measurement doesn't change then replace the fuse and remove the next.

Once you've isolated the circuit with the excessive drain check the wiring connections and plugs to components and the wiring harness that runs by the engine bay fuse box - the wiring harness chaffs / rubs through and gets damaged - but its not always easy to see so be careful when checking..

Also check that the alternator is actually charging the battery in the car by taking a battery voltage reading with the engine off then another with the engine running. The 2nd reading should be higher than the 1st and climbing steadily. And also check that the alternator is secure to the engine as this provides the ground for the charging circuit and make sure that the engine / gearbox earth strap is secure and the contacts are clean and bright.

if the alternator appears not to be working - take it to a electrical specialist and ask them to test it as sometimes you can replace just the diode pack and this will repair the alternator without requiring replacement

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thanks Mr. Obvious......jeezus
Expert:  Matt replied 4 months ago.

please bear in mind that I have no idea of your level of experience

can you tell me what you have tried out of the list I've posted ?