Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience
13948492

I have a yamaha vstar 650 clasic. i recently went to take it

Customer Question

i have a yamaha vstar 650 clasic. i recently went to take it for a ride and when i took off it started to sputter. first off the bike went dead that morning so i jump started the bike. the day befor it was fine. now that i replaced the stator and regulator it wont idle. the front cylindor seems to be fiering fine head and pipes get hot. but the back cylindor is not getting worm at all.., but dose have spark. im lost and not sure what to fix. could you please help me in the right direction
JA: How old is the battery? Have you checked the battery gauge on the dash?
Customer: battery is new and god
JA: What year is your Classic?
Customer: 2005
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: was told when we jumped it with the car running it fried the stator and regulator. so we replaced those.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: but the batteery was dead that morning. and statred fine and drove the day befir
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Motorcycle Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Louie replied 5 months ago.

Hi and welcome to JustAnswer,

Thank you for the question and your patience. Should you still need assistance for information purposes only...

Initially, review the parts of the Yamaha that were worked on when the stator and regulator were replaced. Of interest would be the mounting/placement of the pulser coil co-located with the stator winding (even if just to rule it out as a potential suspect).

Still, the described symptom of "...back cylindor is not getting worm at all.., but dose have spark..." would appear to be a fuel delivery issue then. Proposed preliminary tries (if have not been done):

• • check the hoses, wires and connections to/from the carb assembly;
  • • check fuel content/amount at rear carb by loosening the drain screw and collecting the drained fuel.
  • • check/clean carbs;
  • • with particular attention to needle valve and valve seat, float and float height adjustment.
  • • also consider checking the air box and air filter/element;
  • - ensure tight/correct fit;
  • - verify air entry is only through the designated opening;
  • • likewise check the Air Induction System.