Steve, Motorcycle Mechanic
Experience:  30+ yrs. experience, MMI, HD technician, HD early, engine rebuild/performance, bike builder, kit bike program manager, CCI 2001-2004

Have a 2005 FLSTFI TC88B with Cobra 3" slip-ons. Do I need

Customer Question

Have a 2005 FLSTFI TC88B with Cobra 3" slip-ons. Do I need to have the efi calibrated? Or should I add the high flow air cleaner the calibrate or just put stock pipes back on? Harley is not clear on what a calibration will do for the bike what about V&H fuelpak or Dobeck Gen3?
Category: Motorcycle
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I just want to get the best performance out of my bike, do not want more than a Stage 1 upgrade if it's worth it. Want to maintain, good mileage, cool bike down it's running lean and have good throttle response, performance and get up and go. Not into racing or pounding the bike, use it for long rides to South Dakota, Florida, love to take long trips.
Expert:  Steve replied 4 months ago.

you need to tune the ECM.

you fuel mileage is unrealistic and will go down.

- start with a STAGE 1 DOWNLOAD. everyone should get that regardless.

- to improve performance, you need the stage 1 air cleaner. I recommend the Arlen Ness Big Sucker.

- if your popping persists, you will need a dyno tune OR a self tuning ECM.

- if you you decide to use something like the SERT you will need to dyno tune the engine periodically,

- if you install a self tuning ECM, it will tune itself.

a self tuning ECM will require you to install exhaust headers with O2 sensor bungs.

let me know if you need more help.