Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience
13948492

I HAVE A POLARIS SLX 780 2 CYLINDERS ARE FIRING BUT 3RD ONE

Customer Question

I HAVE A POLARIS SLX 780 2 CYLINDERS ARE FIRING BUT 3RD ONE IS NOT HOW CAN I TELL IS PLUG WIRE OR COIL
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 1 year ago.

HI Ken, my name is Kenny

Well Ken its not that easy, meaning there are other components in the ignition system that can cause a certain cylinder not to fire. So first off you'll need a multi-meter to do some resistance checks, and also which cylinder is it ? starting at the front of the engine that cylinder would be considered #1 middle #2 and the rear #3 ?

Let me know on the meter and I can work you up a work sheet (including the coil) to check the various components

Thanks

Expert:  Kenny O. replied 1 year ago.

Also I need to know if it has a Fuji engine or a Polaris engine, I believe you'll find a tag on the front of the engine towards the front engine cover. If you have a HIN hull number I can likely look it up from that

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
FUJI
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 1 year ago.

OK good, do you have a meter to check some of the components ?

Expert:  Kenny O. replied 1 year ago.

and you are sure this is an 1994 ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
CYLINDER1IS NOT FIREING
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
NO
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 1 year ago.

Do you want me to work up a worksheet for you to check the stator and then for the coils, not sure where you are located, but if you have any Harbor Freight tool store they have a meter there for about $7 or Walmart carries a cheap meter also ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
NO I DONT KNOW THAT IS WHAT I WAS TOLD
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 1 year ago.

OK have Great day !

Thanks anyway !

Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.

Hi and welcome to JustAnswer,

Thank you for the question and your patience. Should you still need assistance for information purposes only...

Initially, the simplest approach would be to temporarily swap the #3 non-firing cylinder's ignition coil/spark plug wire with either of the other 2 known to be good.

As posted above by Kenny, the preferred method is to use a multi-meter to check for resistances both of the spark plug wire and the primary & secondary winding inside the ignition coil.