Kenny O.
Kenny O., Motorcycle, ATV, Mules, Side by Side's Product Specialist. All Brands
Experience:  Worked for Kawasaki Motors as a Product Support Specialist (Factory Support) for 24 years
30381042

I have a 2009 Polaris Sportsman 500 HO that does not have

Customer Question

Hi, I have a 2009 Polaris Sportsman 500 HO that does not have spark to the spark plug. I had it running then shut it off and now there is no spark. The instrument panel, lights, tail lights all have power, and there is power to the starter to turn it over just no spark. The kill switch works when you go from on to off. Is there a wiring diagram to test the ohms to the ignition coil, pulsor, ect. Thanks
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 9 months ago.

Hi Brian my name is Kenny,

Do you have the model code of this unit, if not, if you give me the 17 digit frame number I can grab it from that, that will insure me that I get the correct diagram.

Thanks

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Model # ***** (green)
Vin # *****
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 9 months ago.

Hi Brian I put together a PDF page for diagnosing the ignition system on this model, if you have any questions let me know. Make sure you download and save a copy as the files don't hang out long.

Thanks

Kenny

http://spaces.hightail.com/receive/p8ycT

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Kenny, Thanks I will check the ohms when I get to my shop.
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 9 months ago.

Awesome, thanks Brian let me know what you find !

Kenny

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Kenny, I tested the pulser coil and got 187 ohms & 0 when grounded,. I do not have any yellow to yellow wires available to test. The ignition coil tested primary .2 ohms and the secondary 7.7 k ohms. Is there another check or is time to buy a new CDI?
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 9 months ago.

Brian all that looks good, the yellows are for charging the battery AC to rectifier/regulator, now the black wire to the CDI box is the "kill" wire, if that is shorted to ground then that will kill the spark, did you check that wire for continuity to ground when the switch is in the "run" position ?

Barring all that is correct, then its pointing at the CDI box, just don't see a lot of those fail ?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I did not check the black wire to ground. I will check that and see what it reads. Thanks
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 9 months ago.

That's important !

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Kenny, I had a chance to check the for continuity on the brown & black wires to ground coming off the "kill" switch to the CDI the Brown wire read 11.5 ohms and the Black wire had 8.8 ohms. Also i had the chance to check the CDI box on a different machine and that worked just fine.
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 9 months ago.

OK, the brown wire is the common ground in the wire harness, and then the black wire when shorted to ground (through the kill switch) that will kill the engine, so in the run position there should be no continuity to ground, if there is then it will not spark, what I like to instruct people is to back that wire out of the connector at the CDI that way it takes all the guess work out, if you do that and still no spark then it has to be the CDI box ?

Expert:  Kenny O. replied 8 months ago.

Hi Brian this is just a follow up on your question, if more help is needed please reply back and we can continue and further diagnosing your problem, if satisfied with my help, please accept as I can get credited for helping you. Thanks again for using Just Answer, if help is need in the future, you can request my assistance and will be glad to help.

Thanks

Kenny