Kenny O.
Kenny O., Motorcycle, ATV, Mules, Side by Side's Product Specialist. All Brands
Experience:  Worked for Kawasaki Motors as a Product Support Specialist (Factory Support) for 24 years
30381042

250 Bear Tracker very hard to pull start, kicks back and

Customer Question

250 Bear Tracker very hard to pull start, kicks back and starter rope gets pulled from your hand. Checked valve adjustments and that's right on.
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 1 year ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** am I speaking to ?

It appears that you have a definite timing issue, are you planning on working on this unit yourself ? So I will post up a few questions, and tools you are likely going to need ?

• Do you have a multi-meter ?
  • Timing light ?
  • Tools to get access to the flywheel ?

Also in the mean time I would like you to remove the spark plug and just verify that you have spark, I suspect that you do, but I would like to know for sure

Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do have those tools and it does have spark. I kind of suspected a valve or spark timing issue. So what to check next.
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 1 year ago.

OK good, I'm posting a PDF that I created for you, this is going to check to see if the flywheel might have moved on the crankshaft (shured flywheel key) you might have a timing issue, but I want to make sure that the flywheel is where its suppose to be, if all this is in place then we'll move forward from there.

If you are in doubt about anything, just reply back and we'll figure it out

Thanks

Kenny

http://spaces.hightail.com/receive/KWvZi

Expert:  Kenny O. replied 1 year ago.

Did you get my last response ?

Kenny

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK thanks, ***** ***** check that next either tonight or tomorrow night. Sorry for the delay, I'm on the road all day with no access to my personal computer. I will let you know.
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 1 year ago.

Thanks, ***** ***** with pictures, let me know if you have questions

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Could you send me that pdf again, it seems to have disappeared
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 1 year ago.

When you get this file, once viewed and you don't down load it, its gone, so make sure you save a copy

http://spaces.hightail.com/receive/5DjhP

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I checked the alignment of the timing gear and flywheel and they looked almost lined up. Pulled the flywheel and found slight damage to the key, not sure if you will see it in the picture, but I don't know if this is enough to cause the problem. Had to order from local Yamaha but won't see it until Wed or Thursday.
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 1 year ago.

OK that looks about normal. the line across the keyway is from the broach in the crankshaft, in the mean time go to an auto parts store (O'reilly's) and get some fine lapping compound, then dab a little on the taper of the crankshaft and then work the flywheel clockwise/counter clockwise, removing, wiping, adding another dab and repeating, what you are doing is matching the tapers to each other, that is what holds the flywheel to the crankshaft, that is what a morse taper does, lots of people think that the keyway is what keeps the flywheel from moving on the crankshaft, but its only there for timing purposes. When finished you will notice the color on the two parts will be a duller color and should be all the way around, meaning that you have a perfect match. Clean with some Brake Clean that you can get at the auto parts store also, you want the taper free from grease, oil that will insure that your flywheel will move when reassembled. Make sure you use specified torque, if you need that let me know.

So now we know that the key didn't shure, we'll have to pursue the electrical part of the ignition.

Thanks for the update

Kenny

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK, please send me the torque spec
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
All back together and I still have the same condition
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 12 months ago.

So you pulled the flywheel and then replaced the key, anything else ?

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Nothing else, everything all lined up. I already set valve lash.

OK good, now that you verified the mechanical part of the timing the next is looking at the dynamic side, you have a multi-meter and possibly a timing light ?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I have both.
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 11 months ago.

OK, can you get this unit to run ?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Maybe, it's just difficult because it will pull the rope out of your hand from the kickback
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I got it running so must be OK mechanically