Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience
13948492

My 2005 Honda trx300ex will not start with the start button.

Customer Question

My 2005 Honda trx300ex will not start with the start button. My other 2002 trx 300ex will not start with the start button that one started this mess. His bike just stopped running while loading it on the trailer. That bike the green neutral light will not come on and start button do anything. We charged the battery checked fuse they are good. We tried taking my starter relay off my 2005 because my bike has not given me any trouble ever that did not help we also tried my cid box and the reverse limiter box they did not help the 2002 bike at all. I put the starter relay, cid, and reverse limiter box back on my 2005 and now that bike will not start with the starter button. My 2005 bike the green light comes on but the started button does not work. I can but a jumper starter switch on the relay and it starts fine. Is there something else in the wires I should be looking for . I need help on both the bikes.
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Louie replied 6 months ago.

Hi and welcome to JustAnswer,

Thank you for the question and your patience. Should you still need assistance for information purposes only...

Initially and if have not been tried; inspect the battery, its ground lines and/or check/clean the battery cables + terminals, connectors and wiring as a preliminary consideration. Have the battery externally charged and then LOAD TESTed (even if new/charged and just for the purpose of eliminating it as a suspect).

Try with the clutch lever pulled in.

Still, proposed other tries and re-checks (if have not been done) would be to determine the presence and consistency of the voltages at the different wires of the starter relay:

• • always available +12V on the 15A fuse and red wire on 1 of the B terminal of the starter relay;
  • • IGN+12 on the yellow/red wire to the starter switch;
  • • ground connection of the yellow/green wire to the Reverse Inhibitor Unit.

Do the the above voltage checks twice; once with just the ignition switch on and the second when attempting to start.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Battery is ok 12.32 V with charger hooked up 13.56 V checking with charger hooked up at starter relay 13.56 at starter switch it drops a little 13.45 no change when pushing the starter button. No change with clutch lever pulled. When checking the reverse inhibitor on oms for a ground I unplugged the yel/grn and there is 1.5 oms on that wire push the starter button and that goes away is that a problem? What does the reverse inhibitor do? Checked battery ground at battery and on the engine all seems to be fine i keep this bike very clean. I have put a new starter relay in and a new cid box have not changed the reverse inhibitor box yet those are the only things I took off my 2005 when we were checking the 2002 bike. Remember I put a starter button on the starter relay and the bike starts and runs fine.
Expert:  Louie replied 6 months ago.

Appreciate your kind understanding and patience as I am currently mobile with sluggish Internet hence delays.

The Reverse Inhibitor Unit as its name implies would not allow the starter relay to engage should the Honda be in reverse when attempting to start. Its built-in electronics includes a diode that may have failed.

As a test, disconnect the starter relay's yellow/green wire from the Reverse Inhibitor Unit and temporarily connect this wire it directly to ground and/or a green wire.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Expert:  Louie replied 5 months ago.

Appreciate the post back.

Have you tried directly IGN+12 on the yellow/red wire and a ground connection to the yellow/green ?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
With my green light on I put a ground from the battery to the yel/grn at the starter relay and 12 volts from the battery to ing yel/red at ing switch and ing button will not turn the starter motor. Iam still using my push button on the two starter relay connections that works fine starts and rides fine. Like I said before the only thing I have not changed is the reverse inhibitor box . The CDI box is new and the starter relay is new could the reverse box be bad? Those are the three things I took off my bike to try on the 2002 bike. At my handlebars the switch up there has a blk wire and the yel/red wire don't know where the blk wire goes?
Expert:  Louie replied 5 months ago.

If the starter relay are directly provided with +12V and ground from a fully charged/good battery, then even if the starter button is not pressed, it should engage (click) and the starter motor should spin.

• If there is no click, then the starter relay is highly suspect.
  • On the other hand, if there is a click and yet starter motor will not turn either the voltage is low (least likely), there is an issue with the cable connection (most likely) and/or the starter motor needs looking into (unlikely).
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
The starter motor is good it starts fine with my other button that i have hooked up to the starter relay and I have had two starter relays in one is new I have also checked this with the battery on the charger getting 13.80 volts from the battery, I guess this is a real problem. You didn't say if the reverse inhibitor could be the problem. Anything else you could think of?
Thanks Mark
Expert:  Louie replied 5 months ago.

Mark,

The reverse inhibitor has already been taken out of the equation when the yellow/green was directly (even if temporarily) connected to the ground.

The reverse inhibitor if connected and working as expected internally grounds the yellow/green wire if the transmission is in neutral and/or not in reverse.

The starter motor is powered when the starter relay engages/clicks. This happens when the yellow/red wire receives an IGN+12V either directly (as proposed above) or through the START switch. The starter relay's yellow/green wire should be tied to ground either by the reverse inhibitor if working normally or directly as likewise proposed above for test purposes.

Either way, if it clicks and the battery is good, then the starter motor should turn.

Is there an audible click from the starter relay either through the START switch or directly wired?