P.J.
P.J., Technician
Experience:  10 years as a mechanic and fabricator in a privately owned, local, custom bike shop.
75205684

Have a 2008 Dyna Low Rider with 14.5 K miles that will not

Customer Question

Have a 2008 Dyna Low Rider with 14.5 K miles that will not go into first gear. Just changed clutches and that did not fix the problem. Otherwise shifts good into all other gears and also and neutral. Had full HD Dealer service about 2 months ago and was fine. Did a 400 mile ride a couple of weeks ago and towards the end of the ride started not going into 1st. Now, and before the clutch change will still not go into first. It did shift into first after the clutch change on the stand, but again did not after started and short ride down the street. Also the clutches that were removed looked good. Any suggestions as what the problem is.
Category: Motorcycle
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Now still will not go into first and difficulty shifting down from 6th gear through all gears.
Expert:  P.J. replied 5 months ago.

With the problem evolving into more difficulty I worry that there is a problem in the shifter pawl, shifter drum, or shift forks. I believe the shifting problem is coincidental to the service and clutch change. Inspection of these items requires some disassembly and precision measuring. I can help you with this if you want to try it yourself.

I hope this helps. Please let me know if I can be of further assistance. Also, please leave a positive rating for my service today. Thanks, P.J.

Expert:  P.J. replied 5 months ago.
One thing I forgot to mention that needs to be checked before worrying to match is the short shifter arm attached to the side of the transmission. I just assume this stuff gets eliminated before I answer questions for people.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
What about the short shifter arm?? Are you talking about the external shift rod linking the trans to the shift peddle?? Or something internal??
Expert:  P.J. replied 5 months ago.

The lever arm to which I'm referring is external to the transmission and behind the inner primary. It clamps to a splined shaft on the side of the transmission and sits vertically with a hole at the top where your shift pedal linkage connects.

The pinch bolt of this lever is a common source of shifting problems. Grab the top of this lever and try to move it around. There shouldn't be much, if any, movement. If so, the pinch bolt needs to be removed, the threads lubricated, and the bolt tightened until that movement is gone.

You should also just verify that all your linkage connections are tight. The shifter linkage can contact the engine case and/or inner primary and limit the travel which can cause shifting problems.

Thanks, P.J.