Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience

I have an 86' kd 80, won't start. Trys to but dies off after

Customer Question

I have an 86' kd 80, won't start. Trys to but dies off after initial kick dies off. Puffs off smoke come out off exhaust but that's it.
JA: How many miles are on the car? How has your mileage been lately?
Customer: Old dirt bike.
JA: What kind of car is it? Toyota, Honda, Ford, Chrysler, etc.
Customer: I said it is a Kawasaki kd 80.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Well yeah!
JA: Is there anything else the Mechanic should be aware of?
Customer: No
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Pete replied 4 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.My info is somewhat limited on your model here but I had seen no one else has responded and would like to see if I can help here.If at any time you feel that I cannot help with this please let me know.

If you have not had the fuel system checked this should be done to see if any of the fuel components are found at fault like a restricted fuel line or fuel filter or another fuel component at fault needing repaired or replaced.If this is or has been done and found to be o.k. let me know so we can continue from here.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Fuel system is fine, got gas and spark. I was able to get it to idle for 20secs after I adjusted the points a little farther apart and lightly sanded them. It will not stay running.
Expert:  Pete replied 4 months ago.

Unfortunately this is all of the info I have on this here myself.

I will open your question up for others here to see if someone else can assist further on this as there may be others here that may have more info on what to check or do with this issue.I hope you can get this resolved with ease.No need to reply to my last post here unless it is a last resort as it will keep your question locked to me and others will not be able to view it.If you feel you want to continue to work with me on this feel free to reply at any time but keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair this without seeing your vehicle.

Thanks Pete

Expert:  Louie replied 4 months ago.

Hi and welcome to JustAnswer,

Thank you for the question and your patience. Should you still need assistance for information purposes only...

Initially, a little more background info please:

• • has it been in storage for a length of time;
  • • is this a sudden recent issue;
  • • or slowly developing while in use;
  • • any recent work, repairs or mods done.

The description of "...won't start. Trys to but dies off after initial kick dies off. Puffs off smoke... Fuel system is fine, got gas and spark..." could possibly be an engine issue.

Still, proposed preliminary tries and re-checks (if have not been done):

• test for presence and consistency of spark;
  • • replace the spark plugs;
  • • determine burn color of the old spark plug tip;
  • - if black/sooty, then rich and/or vacuum leak issue @ the intake/after the carb;
  • • ensure vacuum integrity at the intake manifold;
  • - if oily, then an internal engine problem;
  • - consider a compression test or better yet, a leakdown test;
  • - if very light brown to whitish, then lean and/or an air leak concern @ air box/coupling/before the carb;
  • clean the fuel path, drain the tank and replace with fresh fuel;
  • • check the air box and air filter/element;
  • - ensure tight/correct fit particularly with airbox to carb coupling;
  • - verify air entry is only through the designated opening;
  • • check for / clean off any residual 2T oil in the crankcase;
  • - clean the exhaust system;
  • - check/replace the condenser;
  • - test for pulsating voltage at the contact points/breaker when attempting to start.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
My son just bought it but yes it looks like it has been stored for a long amount of time. Good news is it's running now. New spark plug, adjusted the timing, cleaned fuel system, and the best fix was a carburetor I cleaned and fix by combining the best parts of two spares. Bad news I can't put the exhaust on or it won't kick start, I will fire and run great without it. One more thing is when it shifted in first gear, no matter how slow the clutch is released, it will not take on the load n kills it's self. I'm not sure what direction to go after now,is it and air leak, bad adjustment in the cluch or what would cause it to lack enough power to take off into first?
Expert:  Louie replied 4 months ago.

The exhaust system on all 2-stroke engines is an extension of the combustion chamber thus the back pressure it presents is essential.

Considering the age, it would be necessary to do a full cleanup. Perhaps the videos HERE may shed additional insight.

In some instances, it may even be necessary to do a "surgery" on the exhaust system.