Kenny O.
Kenny O., Motorcycle, ATV, Mules, Side by Side's Product Specialist. All Brands
Experience:  Worked for Kawasaki Motors as a Product Support Specialist (Factory Support) for 24 years

I have a Kawasaki 2011 4010 trans mule 650 hrs. I got into

Customer Question

I have a Kawasaki 2011 4010 trans mule 650 hrs. I got into some mud and water approximately 8" deep. Dfi light came on and went into limp mode. I got onto dry ground and continued to limp back to truck for about a mile and engine died. I tried to start and I'm not getting any fire. I'm getting 12 volts to both coils. Do you have any suggestions?
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 4 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** am I speaking to ? I need a few things and then we'll go from there.

• VIN frame number
  • Need to pull both spark plugs and check for water in the engine ?
  • While the spark plugs are out, check for spark ?
  • Is the DFI light still on ?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I don't have the vin with meNo water in engineNo sparkDon't know if dfi light is on, won't run
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
My name is Keith
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 4 months ago.

OK Keith, are you planning to work on this yourself ? if so I will need the VIN # ***** I can pull the proper documentation for your unit.

At this point I have an idea, you will need a multi-meter so I can have you do some basic checks, you stated that the DFI light came on in your original statement, so I would be interested if that is still on, if so then I would direct you to pulling codes to see what is at fault.

Everything I give you will be easy and we should be able to figure out what's happening.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
sir I plan on working on it myself. I'll get you the vin. The dfi light isn't on anymore
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Where do I find the vin?
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 4 months ago.

OK good, we'll you need that multi-meter, I will post up a document, it will instruct you how to get into the self diagnostic mode, let see if you can pull anything up ? In the document they refer to an auxiliary lead, that is just a piece of wire is used to ground the pin they are referring to.

The VIN # ***** ***** the front seat rail, I'll post a picture.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I need you to resend the doc. The link is expired
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 4 months ago.

OK, you need to download and save a copy, these expire after viewed

Thanks, ***** ***** know when you get this message

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I got your message but I still can't view.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I also could not find the vin#
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 4 months ago.

OK, if you are sitting on the seat (in about the middle) reach between your legs and its on that rail, I posted up a picture, it has to be on that rail as I know that because Kawasaki doesn't offer replacement frames.

Try this one, remember download and save a copy.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thank you. I'll let you know how I come out
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 4 months ago.

Perfect !

We'll figure it out !

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
7 blinks
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 4 months ago.

OK there are longs and shorts, can you tell the difference ?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Looks like 6 longs 1 short
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 4 months ago.

61, no such animal, maybe 51, that would be 5 longs and one short ?

Anyway I would like you to pull the flywheel cover, it a black cover on the r/h side of the engine, I believe you might have gotten debris in there when the unit went under water.

and leave that cover off after you verify with me what you found

I will be pretty much available all day tomorrow.

Expert:  Kenny O. replied 3 months ago.

Hi Keith this is just a follow up on your question, if more help is needed please reply back and we can continue and further diagnosing your problem, if satisfied with my help, please accept as I can get credited for helping you. Thanks again for using Just Answer, if help is need in the future, you can request my assistance and will be glad to help.