Kenny O.
Kenny O., Motorcycle, ATV, Mules, Side by Side's Product Specialist. All Brands
Experience:  Worked for Kawasaki Motors as a Product Support Specialist (Factory Support) for 24 years

Bike is 03 r1 was riding on interstate and it just died like

Customer Question

Bike is 03 r1 was riding on interstate and it just died like it ran out of gas .checked feul pump and believe it in good condition. If I push ignition switch it does nothing. Was able to push start for sometime but now nothing. All lights are working and pretty sure all fuses.before it died it would hesitate like it was dieing but just pull clutch while rolling and could get it to start up when put in gear .rolling start I geuss. What am I missing?
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 4 months ago.

Hi James, my name is ***** ***** things before we get started

• Current mileage ?
  • Are you getting any dash lights, or not electrics ?
  • Or is just the starter motor not turning over ?
  • Do you have a multi-meter ?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Starter motor not working but was able to push start .that doesn't work any more. I do have a multi meter. Electronics are work .I can hear injectors or engine being primed I think
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I had been push start g it until I could buy new starter motor. I could push start button and at least get attempt at a start but now nothing at all
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 4 months ago.

OK good, I'm going to post up a simple test that I would like you to perform first, when the key is cycled you should hear (put your ear on the fuel tank) the pump cycle for a couple of seconds.

Let me know what you come up with this simple battery test

You’ll need a multi-meter and set it to VDC, and since we are only testing the battery (12 volts) you can set it on the scale accordingly.

1. Key off, we need to establish “battery” voltage, take a measurement and record it.

2. Key on, observe the voltage drop with the key on, and record it.

3. Key on, now while observing your meter, attempt to start the engine and observe the voltage drop, and record that. If your meter doesn’t have a peak voltage setting, you might have to do this a few times to get an accurate reading.

Once you get the results, please get back to me, and we'll move forward from that.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Battery at rest is 12 to 13 volts. With key on it stays the same and will not try to turn over at all
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
There is an electronic sound coming from bike when key is engaged. Like a priming sound
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 4 months ago.

OK did you get an exact number on the readings ? 12-13 volts is a little vague ? can you get me a good reading ? and also why cant you push the starter button ?

Where is this noise coming from ? Fuel tank ?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I can push starter button but nothing happens now .it would try before last week .the sound I hear comes from under engine area 12.9 volts and with key engaged down to around 12.5. Not really any sound from tank area
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
It went down while riding kind of hesitant and jerky
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 4 months ago.

OK that make sense on the voltage, So this noise you are hearing is obviously something new ? a noise you never heard before, Correct ?

So did this happen after you crashed the bike ? you're supplying me here with bits and pieces here, I can tell you that's not going to work well ????

We will never solve this if I have to play a guessing game ? Tell me everything leading up to, if you crashed then after, miles on bike, what side you crashed on ??? Everything

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Absolutely no crashes .I commute daily to San Francisco. Promise you its has not been crashed at all.the noise is not new I hear it when ever I turn on key that's the priming sound I was referring to. I was riding to work and it just started to act like it was maybe coming into bad gas maybe then it just died. All light still on .it push started it one more time but as soon as I went to throttle it shut off .like it wasn't getting gas. I did take out feul pump and bump on battery and it jumped so I assumed it's not feul pump
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The starter button does nothing now since that happened
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 4 months ago.

Your one statement made it sounded like you might have crashed,

So follow he battery lead (+) from the battery, that will take you to the starter solenoid, then on the opposite side of the solenoid there is another cable and that leads to your starter motor.

I want you to check all those connections and make sure they are clean and tight, then if all that looks good then I want you to get a pair of needle nose pliers and touch the two posts on the starter solenoid,(it will spark a little) when you touch the pliers to the posts, once you do that listen for the starter motor to turn over, you don't have to turn the key on for that test.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Got a spark but no starter motor
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
It just sparked .nothing else happens
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 4 months ago.

OK, that says that something going on with the starter motor, can you pull that start out of the engine ?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
May take some time I'm limited on tools and know how
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 4 months ago.

I think you need to get that out, I'm a little concerned about this happening while ridding the bike, you might have another issue with the starter clutch, that is what connects the starter motor to the crankshaft.

By removing the starter motor will give us a better idea what's going on, I would not use the bike until you get this figured out, if for say that it is a starter clutch issue and its coming apart, it can create other engine damage, I'm not sure at this point what's going on there.