Kenny O.
Kenny O., Motorcycle, ATV, Mules, Side by Side's Product Specialist. All Brands
Experience:  Worked for Kawasaki Motors as a Product Support Specialist (Factory Support) for 24 years
30381042

Will a speedometer from a 2005 Sportsman, part numberand a

Customer Question

Will a speedometer from a 2005 Sportsman, part number(###) ###-####and a speedometer from a polaris magnum 330, part number(###) ###-####interchange? They are identical in every way including plug ins.
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 6 months ago.

Hi Mark, my name is Kenny

What are you wanting to do here ? I see you want to know of they will interchange, So you have a 2005 Sportsman 500 and are wanting to know if the numbers supplied will work on the 500 ?

Thanks

Expert:  Kenny O. replied 6 months ago.

Mark I should have an answer for you tomorrow

Thanks

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I want to replace my broken speedometer(###) ###-####from my Sportsman 500, and replace it with speedometer(###) ###-####from a Polaris Magnum 330.
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 6 months ago.

Mark we don't get into the mixing and matching on here, and I didn't do it when I worked for Kawasaki, I have some friends at Polaris, so I e-mailed them, I should have an answer back tomorrow.

I will let you know,

Thanks

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I appreciate you asking your friend at Polaris. The only reason why I am mixing is they look exactly the same including where you plug them in. I am also aware that sometimes it may be the exact same part and the reason there is a different part number is ***** it serves a different vehicle only.
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 6 months ago.

Is it that much cheaper, I saw the prices but didn't pay attention ?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
About $200 cheaper. Not sure why.
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 6 months ago.

Me coming from a manufacture if the part number is ***** its because it is different, the, if the number is ***** it can be from a vendor change or say color, in this case of $200 cheaper I would suspect a vendor change, we'll see what they come up with,

Wow that's a big difference for a part that functionally appears the same, maybe you are on to something !

Expert:  Kenny O. replied 6 months ago.

Hi Mark here is the official response we got back from Polaris, "Good Morning Chris, They do not sub to each other so they are not an approved replacement"

it would require matching up the wiring diagram from each other, but that still wont tell us that the internals are different, Polaris is really good about offering if different parts will sub, but it doesn't look like in this case.

Sorry

Kenny