Jeff Policky
Jeff Policky, Motorcycle Mechanic
Experience:  Yamaha Gold, Suzuki Gold, Honda Bronze, Polaris Bronze, BRP

Kawasaki Praire 300 4x4 years 2000, 15.4 h.p, Runs until

Customer Question

Kawasaki Praire 300 4x4 years 2000, 15.4 h.p, Runs until warm then no acceleration and finally stops. Compression=140, 145 wet, new plug, new carb vacuum piston, disassembles and cleaned carb. good spark, clean air filter, opened muffler plug and tapped to clean.
Ideas? CDI? coil?
this happened all at one time. Ran fine then as described above.
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 4 months ago.

Gordon my name is Kenny

So when this quits does it start right back up ?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Sorry for an incomplete original question.Usually it will not start until engine cools. If it does start it runs poorly. Pressing accelerator does nothing. It only continues at barely idle speed and soon stops.
Thank you,
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 4 months ago.

No problem Gordon, thanks for that info, any little bit really helps us since we cant touch the vehicle.

So your symptoms point to an electrical issue, usually when that occurs its a part heating up (in the engine) and then goes out of range.

So one important question, when this unit is cold does it run good, not marginal but good to the point where nothing appears wrong ?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Again apologize for not supplying perfect information.
Starting cold at idle engine starts immediately but does not sound or feel as smooth as before the problem. When accelerating or racing engine out of gear the engine it sounds better though I dont believe it sounds or feels normal. It does not seem to have as much power; however, I only have about 4 or 5 minutes to attempt a determination.
I know it is the weekend and am most appreciative of a Saturday reply. You are welcome to wait until Monday for a reply.Gordy
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 4 months ago.

Thanks Gordy, I usually work on line Saturday as its usually busy,

Do you feel that maybe this is an electrical issue ?

Also of you have a timing light you can use that as a spark tester, when it starts acting up you can see if the spark is going away ?

Can I get a VIN # frame number ?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
You can call ifyou wish at any time easy for you. 530 (###) ###-#### I can buy a timing light if you tell me to. Strong spark exists when coil lead is disconnected from plug and held near ground. Following this request I will start engine run until it stops and THEN check spark as soon as it stops.
Vin: VF300AEO25165
Frame: JKAVF8A13YB515062
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 4 months ago.

Yes need to see if the spark is going away when hot, I have to step out likely for the day (Birthday calibration) So I'll pick this up tomorrow,

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Kenny, after it no longer runs I can get the spark to jump about 1/2" to ground. It starts immediately but idles poorly if it were a 2 cylinder engine it sounds like one cylinder its only working part time. Racing engine it runs fast but "misses" then catches continually, then rpm's lower to idle and only will idle. In about one minute engine finally. Stops. After idling while engine is still cool and I can race engine I get black smoke which clears In about 5 seconds. At no time during the above operation does the engine operate comfortably or well (as it did before problem developed). You asked if problem could be electrical? My answer is I suppose so? I have wondered if timing could be off? Valves out of adjustment? Gas tank vent could be blocked? The hose venting the carburetor at top runs to daylight , there is no check valve.
This condition developed all at once. One day all was well. Next day it was bad.
When disassembling carburetor first time I found the rubber diaphragm on the vacuum piston was torn so I bought a new one for $180. Installed.
Take Sunday off and thank you.Gordy
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 4 months ago.

OK, will get back at it tomorrow