P.J.
P.J., Technician
Experience:  10 years as a mechanic and fabricator in a privately owned, local, custom bike shop.
75205684

I have a 2003 Dyna low rider that belonged to my father. He

Customer Question

I have a 2003 Dyna low rider that belonged to my father. He recently passed away and left me his bike. Last summer I picked him up after the bike shut down on him. He could start it if cooled down and make it a few miles then it round shut off again. We checked over plugs, fuel, fuel filter, tank and all was ok. I picked the bike up and after charging battery it fired up and ran for about 5-8 minutes then shit off. Same thing it did to my father. I'm assuming it's a bad Stator n altinater!! Can you help
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  P.J. replied 6 months ago.
If you have a voltmeter I can help walk you through the charging system testing.The first step is to charge the battery and check the voltage with the bike off. Then start the bike and note the voltage at about 2000 RPM.I also recommend having the battery load tested. It is a typically free service of anyone that sells batteries and it is the only way to know whether or not the battery is good. It is also necessary to have a good battery to get accurate readings on other components.Once you check these things I can walk you through the charging system tests.Let me know what you come up with.Thanks, P.J.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Battery puts out 12 volts while off and running. Does my area of concern now need to be stater n voltage regulator?
Expert:  P.J. replied 6 months ago.

Yes. You'll want to unplug the regulator from the stator and test the stator. With the meter set to AC volts you should see about 20 volts at idle and watch it ramp up with an increase in engine RPM's. It will be somewhere in the mid to upper 40's at about 3000 RPM.

You'll then set your meter to the OHMs setting. Test each stator lead from the lead to a ground. You should not have continuity to ground. You will see no change in the meter or an infinity reading (the same reading you see by touching your two meter probes togehter). Any resistance to ground means that portion of the stator is shorted and the stator will need replaced.

If the stator tests good you likely need a regulator. The only check to make on the regulator is to make sure it is properly connected with good connections and that it has a good solid ground.

I hope this helps. Please let me know if I can be of further assistance. Also, please leave a positive rating for my service. Thanks, P.J.