Pete, Technician
Experience:  17 years automotive training and experience.
14928985

1998 454 arctic cat. was pulling an implement and believe I

Customer Question

1998 454 arctic cat. was pulling an implement and believe I overheated and the unit shut down. Started with intermittent fuel before if died for good. I thought this could be possibly to vapor lock as the gas filter clear bulb was empty and I would have to pump it up and restart. It then died and would not start. I thought it overheated and shut down due to this.
Next day I get nothing when I push start button. Checked all fuses including 30 amp at the starter relay and all seems o. Turn on key and get the neutral light and then lights when I go to headlights so appears key is getting energy.
I can jump the starter relay and spin the engine over fine but it will not crank. it appears this may be not getting spark as I have the plug out grounded and turning the motor over.
Traced all ingnition sequence wires and don't find anything unplugged.
Questions
How does the CDI and the start button on handle bar get engerized?
What could be out or possibly shorted and not providing power to both the relay and the spark when I turn the starter over by jumping the relay with the key on. I seem no spark at the plug.
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Pete replied 6 months ago.

Hi,my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to try to assist you with this.I may need more information in some cases to help with answering your question.

Expert:  Pete replied 6 months ago.

My info is somewhat limited on your model here but I had seen no one else has responded and would like to see if I can help here.If at any time you feel that I cannot help with this please let me know.

I see no one has posted any help with this here.In some cases this can be due to the info you may be looking for may be difficult to obtain or the correct person that can help may not be online.

If you did over heat or get hot check and see if any wires had melted at all on the engine or in the engine bay area needing repaired or replaced.I have seen melted wires in the past before cause issues like this here needing repaired or replaced.If this is or has already been checked and found to be o.k. let me know so we can continue from here.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete