Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience
13948492

My battery is discharging when lights are on its a kawasaki

Customer Question

My battery is discharging when lights are on its a kawasaki gpz 750 83
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Louie replied 6 months ago.

Hi and welcome to JustAnswer,

Thank you for the question and your patience. Should you still need assistance for information purposes only...

Initially and if have not been tried; inspect the battery, its ground lines and/or check/clean the battery cables + terminals, connectors and wiring as a preliminary consideration. Have the battery externally charged and then LOAD TESTed (even if new/charged and just for the purpose of eliminating it as a suspect).

Consider/try a review of the basics (again if have not been done)

• • do an Ohms' test with all 3 pairings of the stator wires as these should show very low resistance on any/all pairing;
  • • however, none of the stator wire should show any resistance to the engine ground;
  • • with the engine running at high RPM, any/all pairing of these stator wires should produce ~55 Volts AC;
  • • any deviation and the stator would be highly suspect;
  • • if all of the above check good, then the regulator/rectifier combo would be the most likely suspect;
  • • repeat the above tests when the lights are on,