P.J., Technician
Experience:  10 years as a mechanic and fabricator in a privately owned, local, custom bike shop.

Turn on key the dash light comes on and the blinkers and

Customer Question

turn on key the dash light comes on and the blinkers and break lights will work.The 3 head light do not come on and the green neutral dash light will not come on.When I put the switch to Run and press Start nothing happens.This bike is a 2000 Heritage Softail Classic.
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  P.J. replied 4 months ago.

Your dash switch has two circuits leaving it. The red/gray wire powers everything you list as working. The red/black wire powers everything you list as not working.

I'd pull the dash and check for power on that red/black wire. If you have no power leaving the switch on that red/black then either your switch is bad or the connection is loose. The plastic plug that secures the wires is notorious for breaking and becoming loose. A quick fix is a zip tie around it and the switch to hold the plug in place. You can also use needle nose pliers to put a very slight twist on the male terminals sticking out of the switch to create a tighter connection.

I hope this helps. Please let me know if I can be of further assistance. Also, please leave a positive rating for my service today. Thanks, P.J.