Steve, Motorcycle Mechanic
Experience:  30+ yrs. experience, MMI, HD technician, HD early, engine rebuild/performance, bike builder, kit bike program manager, CCI 2001-2004

I have a question. Installed T-man555 cams on my 2012 Ultra

Customer Question

Hi Steve,
I have a question. Installed T-man555 cams on my 2012 Ultra with 6,000 mile. Picked it up from mechanic was great. Drove it about 25 miles and now have vibration when speed & rpm leaves out & on deceleration. Now mechanic says they need to check flywheel run out. They said if it's bad flywheel then I would have to pay to fix it. They indicated to me that installing these cams could not cause damage or vibration to my bike. He said I must of been hot rod'n the bike and caused this.
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  P.J. replied 4 months ago.

What question do you have about this scenario? I'll add some statements to see if they will help cover it.

I tend to agree that the install of the cam would not cause this type of vibration. I can't think of any part of the cam install process that, if done incorrectly, would create vibration. There are plenty of things that could be done wrong but it would cause other issues. Most all things would cause a terrible running bike or a lot of new noise.

The runout check on the flywheel should be part of the install though. Again, from what I read I'd have to agree with your shop that most of the labor burden and parts burden would be your responsibility if the crankshaft is in need of repair. The shop should help some with the equivalent labor and necessary gaskets to do that runout check though. It is a 5 minute check when the bike is disassembled for the cam replacement. To get back in there to do now I'd estimate 6 hours labor and about $100 in gaskets for that part. In my shop that would be about $550.

Flywheels going out of true has long been a known issue and is possible but hasn't been very common in recent years. They can happen at any time and whether or not you "hot rod" the bike. It is just the nature of the HD assembly.

I hope this helps. Please let me know if I can be of further assistance. Also, please leave a positive rating for my service today. Thanks, P.J.

Expert:  Steve replied 4 months ago.

if the oil pump were not correct installed following the cam install, it would induce a vibration.

but before looking into the engine, I would look at all the things on the bike that are known to cause vibration, like loose exhaust clamps, broken or loose exhaust brackets and shields. these things can easily loosen up after a few miles. you may have also picked up debris between the powertrain and frame. I have seen people pick up a rock and have the same symptoms you have.

if you can't find anything externally, I would perform the oil pump centering procedure.

the flywheels are the last thing I would look at.

let me know if you need more help.

Expert:  Steve replied 4 months ago.

let me know if you need more help.

if not, please leave a POSITIVE RATING.

thank you,