Jeff Policky
Jeff Policky, Motorcycle Mechanic
Experience:  Yamaha Gold, Suzuki Gold, Honda Bronze, Polaris Bronze, BRP
17258690

My suzuki boulevard C50 won't start. It lights up but when I

Customer Question

My suzuki boulevard C50 won't start. It lights up but when I hit the starting button it won't start. I checked the egnition fuse and it is ok. Any ideas of what the problem might be?
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with a suzuki. The Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: I tried to start it... I cranked it twice and the motor would turn, but it wouldn't start. When I tried it again, the light went away and then the light came back. When I hit the start button, nothing happens but the light turns off.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: I checked the 15 amp ignition fuse and it's fine.
JA: Is there anything else the Mechanic should be aware of about your suzuki?
Customer: Yes
JA: What else should I tell the Mechanic?
Customer: Before I had this problem, there was a different sound like it was being reset when I turned it on, but it no longer does this.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  RSRBOB replied 6 months ago.

Hi and thank you for your question.

The first thing that comes to mind is there is a problem with your clutch interlock switch. I suggest looking at the bottom of the bracket where the clutch lever mounts and find the switch. Trace it down into the headlight and check the connections, making sure they are not unplugged. If that is ok, disconnect them and use an ohm meter to check continuity between the two wires. You should show continuity/no continuity as you pull the lever in and release it. If it isn't changing, the switch is not functioning properly.

The next thing would be the side stand switch. The easiest way to check that is put the bike in neutral and see if it starts, providing you have already confirmed the clutch switch is functional. I am guessing you have tried this but wanted to throw it out there just in case.

As far as checking fuses, never trust your eyes. Always check for volts to both ends of the fuse or check continuity across them. There could be an open that is not visible. A test light is the easiest way to check them, and when I do, I hit them all just in case there is some minuscule chance a seemingly unrelated circuit blew a fuse and is killing the one I am working on.

Let me know how that works out for you and if we need to dig deeper, we will

Thanks,

RSRBOB

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
When I pulled out the starter clutch cover, two gears fell off on the right hand side and the main gear turned clockwise. Is there a timing mechanism -- and if there is -- will it have to be reset? How do I do that?