Eric, Technician
Experience:  MMI grad. 7 years experience in Honda, Suzuki, Yamaha, as service manager and tech.
12914129

I bought a used 1985 Honda Magna 700 as my first bike. It

Customer Question

I bought a used 1985 Honda Magna 700 as my first bike. It has 13500 miles. I drive it for about 15 to 40 miles and it seems like it loses power. It seems like it runs out of gas actually. I wait few minutes and starts up and runs good again. It seems to do this every time I ride. Had a guy go thru carbs, replace thermostat and temp Guage and same problem exsisit. Any suggestions
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Eric replied 6 months ago.

These bikes tend to have an issue with fuel pumps. There is a way to tell if yours is faulty. The fuel pump sits behind/under the battery. On the one end of the fuel pump is a plastic cover. If you remove the screws to take the cap off of the fuel pump it will expose the contacts. These contacts are much like points contacts on the old ignition points. When these pumps start to fail, these contacts will weld themselves together and break away from its mounted tab. Over a while the pump will still try to work and break contact with the applied voltage, but doenst last due to its improper surface area. So if you can take a look and verify if the fuel pump contacts are failed that you will simply need a new fuel pump. The only other two areas that can cause this type of issue would be loss of spark, or bad fuel tank ventilation. If you carry an extra spark plug with you, when the bike fails and dies you can quick unplug one of the plug wires and connect your spare spark plug and ground it to the head. Attempt to start the bike and see if you are getting spark. If you are not then there may be an issue with your pulser coil or something to that affect, or if popping open the fuel cap when the bike fails, if you hear a hiss of a vaccum then the tank is not ventilating, and not allowing fuel to flow. Or possibly the fuel tank may have a bit of debris/rust and clogging internally. But because they are known to go out I would take a good look at that fuel pump for they are notorious for going out.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I did not get a chance to check it out to see if the fuel pump was bad. I will get a chance early this week...thanks
Expert:  Eric replied 6 months ago.

no problem, just let me know your findings.