Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience
13948492

2011 cam am commander 1000 Can ride miles when it will shut

Customer Question

2011 cam am commander 1000
Can ride for 30 miles when it will shut down -like I have shut the key off-. After it sets for 10 or 15 minutes it will go again.
I have replaced the fan control to come on sooner so it doesn't heat up, wrapped all the exhaust to keep engine compartment cooler. Temp is normal when this happens.
I have ck'd fuel valve and wasn't plugged.
Could this be something electrical?
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Louie replied 6 months ago.
Hi Dennis and welcome to JustAnswer,Thank you for the question and your patience. Should you still need assistance for information purposes only...Initially, the described symptom could either be fuel delivery issue (least likely) or electrical/ignition (most likely).Still, let's try the basics and determine general area of possible fault. Proposed preliminary tries (if have not been done) when the symptom "...shut down -like I have shut the key off..." shows up again:• carefully remove the spark plugs;• check the burn color of the ceramic to the tips;• cautiously perform a spark test;• crank and note if fuel enters the combustion chambers.