Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience
13948492

1996 GSXR750 RUNS FINE TILL THE FAN KICKS IN AND THE IT

Customer Question

1996 GSXR750 RUNS FINE TILL THE FAN KICKS IN AND THE IT TRIES TO DIE. ITS LIKTHE CHARGING SYSTEM IS NOT KEEPING UP WITH THE DEMAND. WHY?
JA: What is the model of your '96 motorcycle?
Customer: SUZUKI
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: REPLACED STATOR AND RECTIFIER AND BATTERY. FOUND OUT THAT MY BIKE SERIES IS A T AND I REPLACED IT WITH A W SERIES STATOR
JA: How many miles are on the car? Will the battery hold a charge?
Customer: 34000 AND YES IT HOLDS A CHARGE
JA: Any recent repairs?
Customer: NONE
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Motorcycle Mechanic should know about your Suzuki?
Customer: NOPE
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Motorcycle Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Louie replied 6 months ago.
Hi and welcome to JustAnswer,Thank you for the question and your patience. Should you still need assistance for information purposes only... Initially and if have not been tried; inspect the battery, its ground lines and/or check/clean the battery cables + terminals, connectors and wiring as a preliminary consideration. Have the battery externally charged and then LOAD TESTed (even if new/charged and just for the purpose of eliminating it as a suspect). Consider/try a review of the basics (again if have not been done)• do an Ohms' test with all 3 pairings of the stator wires as these should show very low resistance on any/all pairing;• however, none of the stator wire should show any resistance to the engine ground;• with the engine running at high RPM, any/all pairing of these stator wires should produce ~55 Volts AC;• any deviation and the stator would be highly suspect;• if all of the above check good, then the regulator/rectifier combo would be the most likely suspect;• repeat the above tests with the fan running,