Steve, Motorcycle Mechanic
Experience:  30+ yrs. experience, MMI, HD technician, HD early, engine rebuild/performance, bike builder, kit bike program manager, CCI 2001-2004

My 2001 Dyna wide glide Harley Davidson started out not

Customer Question

my 2001 Dyna wide glide Harley Davidson started out not holding a charge on my brand new battery but now it is holding a charge but when I take off and get over 30 mph my speedometer quits working and my engine light comes on and my odometer quits working but once I slowed down everything starts working again.
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  kwiggins29059 replied 5 months ago.

Hello, the first step is going to be pulling the diagnostic codes since the check engine light is coming on. Under the seat is a diagnostic connector with a cover. You want to remove the cover and use a paperclip or piece of wire to jump pins 1 and 2. I'll post a picture and the procedure below. The CEL will flash the codes, just let me know what they are. Thanks!

Remove right side saddlebag and side cover if so equipped. Remove protective plug from datalink connector. Other models will be under the seat.

2. To activate the diagnostic feature,follow these steps.
a. Create diagnostic test wire or use a female spade clip which will bridge the two terminals perfectly.
b. Install diagnostic test wire/clip across Terminals 1 and 2 on the data link connector, they are marked.
c. Turn Ignition/Light Key Switch to IGNITION and wait approximately 10 seconds (4 seconds lamp ON, 6 seconds lamp OFF) for check engine lamp to start flashing.

3. All trouble codes are sent out as a series of flashes. To retrieve the first digit of the trouble code simply observe the number of times the lamp flashes.
a. The lamp will then flash one or more times to indicate the first digit of the trouble code.
b. The length of time the lamp is illuminated and the length of time in which it is off are each about 0.5 second in duration.

4. The second digit follows:
a. Following the transmission of the first digit, there is a 1.2 second pause in which the lamp is off.
b. The lamp will then flash one or more times to indicate the second digit of the trouble code. Count the number of times the lamp flashes to retrieve the second digit.

5. If more than one trouble code is sent:
a. Following transmission of the second digit of the first code, there is a 3 second pause in which the lamp is off.
b. Once all codes have been sent, the data string is repeated. When you have recorded the same trouble code twice, it is an indication that the transmission has been restarted and that all trouble codes have been retrieved.

Expert:  Steve replied 5 months ago.

regardless if you get codes or not, you will still have to measure the battery and charging system voltages and your symptoms indicate a regulator over voltage condition.

measure the battery terminal voltage under the following conditions:

- ignition OFF.

- ignition ON.

- with the start button depressed.

- with the engine at about 2,000 rpm (fast idle)

let me know what you find.