Jeff Policky
Jeff Policky, Motorcycle Mechanic
Experience:  Yamaha Gold, Suzuki Gold, Honda Bronze, Polaris Bronze, BRP

Turn ignition switch on, kill switch on, bike in neutral

Customer Question

Turn ignition switch on, kill switch on, bike in neutral green light on, instrument cluster come on, headlights come on but tach doesnt move as normal, fuel pump doesnt prime as normal. Depress the starter switch and no sound at all..All fuses are good...odd notice is depressing the brake level the brake light doesnt come on but the depressing the foot lever it does.
JA: Have you checked the fuse for the headlight circuit? How are the bulbs?
Customer: All bulbs are functioning..
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: I do most of the maintenance on my bike 2000 yamaha R1..
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Motorcycle Mechanic should know about your motorcycle?
Customer: Not really ... another odd notice I seem to have no tag light, integrated unit tho..signal, brake and running lights work as usual.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Motorcycle Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 5 months ago.
Hi this is Kenny, who am I speaking to ? Couple of questions before we get startedHow old in the battery in this unit ?Do you have access to a multi-meter ?Ho many miles on this unit ?Thanks
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Battery : Less than 6 months
A Fluke multimeter
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 5 months ago.
Thanks, I'm going to have you a simple test so I can move on from there, of you can get back to me on the results that would be great,You’ll need a multi-meter and set it to VDC, and since we are only testing the battery (12 volts) you can set it on the scale accordingly.Key off, we need to establish “battery” voltage, take a measurement and record it.Key on, observe the voltage drop with the key on, and record it.Key on, now while observing your meter, attempt to start the engine and observe the voltage drop, and record that. If your meter doesn’t have a peak voltage setting, you might have to do this a few times to get an accurate reading.